How old were you?

rlucas
Member in Good Standing

Around 9 or 10 maybe. Got a crossman air rifle for my birthday. I would take it squirrel hunting
"That's mighty bold talk for a one eyed fat man!" -Lucky Ned Pepper.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

How old am I now? I was 54 when I got my first BB gun. It is the only gun I have ever owned. I shoot at the neighborhood stray cats in my garden. It is a Red Ryder from Dick's Sporting Goods.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

One advantage of having an older brother is that when he got cool shit like a bb gun ..... though 5 years younger , I got it too whether anyone wanted that or not . I probably was shooting his bb gun at 5 or 6 Id imagine . A single pump daisy . A bit later we got more radical stuff .
Back in those times , I think the coolest thing / weapon I liked was the wrist rocket sling shot . I broke many a thing
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ronv69
Founding Member

I got my first BB gun when I was 10. Daisy 99 Target Special. I got a vermin-duty Beeman break action 1200 fps .17 when I was 38. At 69 I got a single shot Crossman Co2 pistol. I got the soup-up parts for it, but built a bunch of ARs instead. I'll get to it.
God and Texas!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Ruffinogold wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:35 pm One advantage of having an older brother is that when he got cool shit like a bb gun ..... though 5 years younger , I got it too whether anyone wanted that or not . I probably was shooting his bb gun at 5 or 6 Id imagine . A single pump daisy . A bit later we got more radical stuff .
Back in those times , I think the coolest thing / weapon I liked was the wrist rocket sling shot . I broke many a thing
WRIST ROCKET!! OMG! I had one of those and loved it. And man, they could shoot like a sunuvagun. I seem to remember having some pellets that were purpose-made as slingshot ammo. I know I killed a squirrel with my slingshot, just to see if it could be done. It could be. Got a very serious talking-to from my Dad about not killing what didn't need to be killed, and what wasn't going to be eaten. Old school was my dad. Anyway, Wrist Rockets! Those were pretty wild.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

MikeDennison wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:03 am
Ruffinogold wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:35 pm One advantage of having an older brother is that when he got cool shit like a bb gun ..... though 5 years younger , I got it too whether anyone wanted that or not . I probably was shooting his bb gun at 5 or 6 Id imagine . A single pump daisy . A bit later we got more radical stuff .
WRIST ROCKET!! OMG! I had one of those and loved it. And man, they could shoot like a sunuvagun. I seem to remember having some pellets that were purpose-made as slingshot ammo. I know I killed a squirrel with my slingshot, just to see if it could be done. It could be. Got a very serious talking-to from my Dad about not killing what didn't need to be killed, and what wasn't going to be eaten. Old school was my dad. Anyway, Wrist Rockets! Those were pretty wild.
Yes ! I had steel Ball Bearings .... they were brutal . Id imagine you could take any small game with one . I practiced with rocks and used the steel for special occasions :)
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

The iron ore off the RR tracks was great ammo too
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
HSigurdsson

My parents were not gun people and we lived in suburbia, so bb guns were not very useful.
But, I bugged my parents so much that they got me a Crosman 760 when I was about 12.
My brother was very upset. He is 6 years older than me and he had always wanted a bb gun.
Then my best friends dad got me into hunting at about 15 years old. At 16 I boughtan H&R single shot 12 gauge for my first deer hunt. My friend and I went into the woods hunting deer with zero knowledge of hunting or dressing a deer.
My friends dad, the one who got me into hunting/guns said he wasn't eorried because we wouldnt get a deer.
Ten minutes into the hunt I was eating a piece of cold pizza from a very loud crinkly piece of foil. My friend was smoking a cigarette.....in the deer woods.....we must have been a sight.
We kinda thought it was like squirrel hunting. Walk loudly around the woods until you see something.
While we were sitting there eating, smoking and talking, we heard a crunch, I turned and ghere was an 8 point buck. He was literally 20 feet away. I leveled my shotgun, yanked the trigger, and the deer fell where it stood. Very excited we ran over but he was already dead.We thought, dang, this is easy. I hunted every year but my next deer was when I was 25 or so. :)
Then we dressed the deer out. Neither of us had even seen it done before. We knew we had to cut around its butthole....didnt know why....and we knew to take the guts out. When we got it home, my friends dad was shocked and said we did GREAT!!
This is the day my lifelong love of hunting started.
Now ive hunted about all the game the US has to offer...including pronghorn and mountain goats.
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

She was 15 years older. Wait wrong thread.
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Plinsc wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:43 pm She was 15 years older. Wait wrong thread.
:lol: