The 25-Dollar Clay.

Silver
Certified Codger

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Citizen B wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:28 pm It took a lot of work and research to come up with this model. Plus, the expense of bisque-fired, commercially produced, non-toxic clay.

The Old Dominion Williamsburg Clay Pipe is a faithful reproduction of an early 18th century English clay pipe. Fragments of the original colonial-era pipe found on the Old Dominion farm were scanned using a 3D printer, “re-assembled” by computer-aided design (CAD), and reverse engineered to make a master mold with 3D print technology for this clay pipe.

These are fashioned from non-toxic, commercially produced clay, and bisque fired, as were the originals. In order to keep the pipes historically-accurate, the pipe stems are not glazed.

The “Williamsburg” is named in honor of the renowned 18th century capital of the Virginia Colony (1699-1780). This shorter stemmed version would have been the constant companion for colonial travelers throughout the Colonies as well as British Redcoats and colonial militia on campaign needing a shorter stemmed pipe that was readily compact and less prone to breakage unlike the longer stemmed tavern pipes. It is a great smoker for the tobacco pipe enthusiast or simply as a keepsake souvenir for those interested in the history of Colonial America.

I grit my teeth at spending $10 for a clay pipe. $25? No. I don't care how faithful a reproduction it is.

This has nothing to do with inflation. It has to do with marketing and trading on the MM brand. Somebody new is in charge. This is smart business.

I do not like it, but it smart business. I am a codger. 3-D print technology does not impress me. There is nothing wrong with making something by hand.

The only reason MM clays are on my radar is because I was thinking about buy a $10 clay. https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/old-ge ... s/1484289/. I saw the offering from MM and thought, "No." It is no better nor worse than a ten dollar clay that will break as soon as I drop it.
Ditto. I spent 8 bucks for my clay, smoked it a few times, and put it away with traces of my thumb skin on the bowl. :lol: Anyway, I'm not pissed that they're sharp...I'm just not gonna spend that money for a clay pipe.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Presby John-Dave

I enjoy clays, but those prices are not worth it. The Venus could reasonably be sold for $12-$18. The others shouldn't be above $10.

As far as people losing fingertips with their clays, don't hold the bowl if you can help it! Try holding the stem instead like you're this guy...
Comes meus fuit in illo miserrimo tempore - Sir Walter Raleigh
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I like that Venus clay a lot
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Presby John-Dave wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:59 pm I enjoy clays, but those prices are not worth it. The Venus could reasonably be sold for $12-$18. The others shouldn't be above $10.

As far as people losing fingertips with their clays, don't hold the bowl if you can help it! Try holding the stem instead like you're this guy...
And you just explained why he is smiling that satisfied smile. He knows how to smoke a clay pipe.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Maybe they need to pay for this ladys glasses?

https://www.ksdk.com/article/sponsor-st ... pAeuRk-Dd8
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Lol!
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Presby John-Dave wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:59 pm I enjoy clays, but those prices are not worth it. The Venus could reasonably be sold for $12-$18. The others shouldn't be above $10.

Which thing I learned to do. :lol:
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Puff nstuff

$25 might seem like a lot until you consider the many uses for clay pipes other than smoking tobacco from them.
https://academic.oup.com/histres/articl ... 56/7069223
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Iain

I had some nice clays including a clay churchwarden. I used to clench one of them, only person that was ever impressed by that feat was my dentist.