I have a question

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:20 pm
Piping Abe wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:57 pm I was on original PSF for a short time. I distinctly remember a few names. But my 1 and 2 were @Ruffinogold and @Kevin Keith I remember the Mayor because he was The Mayor and he had that gold head picture. And Kevin because of the Pipe in a Dishwasher thread and he had that caricature picture of him with a pipe. Obviously it made an impact on me because I found my way back.

And even if you all ceased to exist I would still be here, like that lonely guy on the Grabow forums posting everyday.
Henry Bemis
At least I could have time to read all the books I always wanted to.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Citizen B wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:33 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:17 pm
Citizen B wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:08 pm

You are the other one. I get you confused with Piping Abe all the time. And, now that I say it, I realize that Piping Abe got the knife because you told me to send it to him. You two are yin and yang in my mind.

Anyhow, to derail my own thread now that this mystery has been solved, I was reading an article in the Wall Street Journal a few weeks ago and I have been bothering people about it ever since. It seems that, based on archeological evidence, the human brain has consistently shrunk over the past three thousand years. Compared to our three thousand-year-old ancestors, our brains have less volume. We have lost the cubic centimeter equivalent of a lime.

What happened 3000 years ago? Civilization. People living together reached critical mass so that we now have collective intelligence as well as individual intelligence. We can rely on other people to remember things while we remember things that they do not.

I find this notion interesting, as I would since I always farm out questions to the rest of you because I am too lazy to do the legwork to find the answer, and, after all is said and done, what is the art of conversation but asking and learning?

We probably shouldn't be cluttering up the new member thread more than we have to.
Abe and myself would definitely be yin & yang. He's quite polite and I'm... Not.

As for the human brain shrinking over the centuries, I can definitely buy into that theory. We have gotten lazier as a species and no longer have to remember as much because we have the technology to investigate within arms reach at all times. And I'm not excluding myself from that point of the finger, I'm as guilty as anyone.
A mod can move this if they want to since we are getting 'Off Topic.'

Ancient Greek philosophers complained about writing because people didn't have to remember everything, they could just refer to the text.

As hunter gatherers, everyone had to do everyone else's job because there were few people. That, and anyone could die at a moment's notice. Everyone had to know everything and then some. Once critical mass was achieved, for better or for worse (I think for better), people could specialize, there were enough replacement parts in the machine, if you will. There was a store of knowledge, and it was recorded, easily accessible.

Printing made the store and the accessibility more so. The internet, sheesh! In my lifetime, I have seen my attention span shrink. I do not look things up on my phone when I wonder about something. Instead I plumb my memory. If I don't have an answer, I asked the person sitting next to me. If they want to look it up on their phone, I lose interest.

I google things but I went to the library today because I have some research to do. I really am a codger. I prefer analog over digital, real over virtual.

I am sure everyone having a computer in their pocket is going to shrink our minds more. I do not know if this is a good thing or not. It will make us more productive collectively, but it will not make us smarter, per se, individually. Time will tell. @Johnny Dingo would know. He came here from the future.
My only argument with that is in the hunter/gatherer situation everyone was committed because it helped to ensure their own survival. Everyone pitched in for the greater good. Modern man doesn't do that. Everything is someone else's job.
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Johnny Dingo is awesome . He went on a snuff kick one time that was inspiring to anyone at least half insane :bow:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Piping Abe wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:24 pm
Piping Abe wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:57 pm I was on original PSF for a short time. I distinctly remember a few names. But my 1 and 2 were @Ruffinogold and @Kevin Keith I remember the Mayor because he was The Mayor and he had that gold head picture. And Kevin because of the Pipe in a Dishwasher thread and he had that caricature picture of him with a pipe. Obviously it made an impact on me because I found my way back.

And even if you all ceased to exist I would still be here, like that lonely guy on the Grabow forums posting everyday.
Henry Bemis
There's a Twilight Zone about that.
God and Texas!
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:24 pm
:lol: I love that movie
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

ImageImage
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

ImageImageImage
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Took me a minute to figure out that those are from ye ole digs
Ronv69
Founding Member

Ronv69 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:53 pm
Piping Abe wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:24 pm

Henry Bemis
There's a Twilight Zone about that.
God and Texas!