Best packing advice so far

Richard Hanson

I mean .. filling the pipe and before you light it .... take drags off it and its a good indication of what the draw/smoke will be . Theres other pluses to doing it , like tasting the blend prior to the light up . Theres a lot a dry hit can teach a new guy without having to learn anything , I think
I am greatly relived that you provided this explanation. I was much concerned that this "dry hitting" had something to do with my wife, in which case I perceive no benefits at all. The vernacular of this pipe smoking hobby is a significant hazard to domestic tranquility.

Warmest Regards,
Richard
Living the lesepfeife life.
rlucas
Member in Good Standing

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:14 pm
Citizen B wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:31 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:51 pm Yes . Dry hitting a pipe is an indication of what will happen more than likely
What do you mean, "dry hitting?"
I mean .. filling the pipe and before you light it .... take drags off it and its a good indication of what the draw/smoke will be . Theres other pluses to doing it , like tasting the blend prior to the light up . Theres a lot a dry hit can teach a new guy without having to learn anything , I think
I was told to dry hit too. If it ain't right then dump if too tight. Pack firmer if too loose. I guess I am kind of a newb at pipe smoking. Tried news ago but got frustrated with packing and went to cigars. Cigars are too expensive so here I am, pipe smoking again.
"That's mighty bold talk for a one eyed fat man!" -Lucky Ned Pepper.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I’m so confused. :)
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Pack looser. The tobbaco will compress as you tamp. Only except is very fine shag cuts. Like 5 Bros, and Semois
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Kevin Keith wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:07 am I’m so confused. :)a
Me too. I dunno who's packing what. Just waiting for someone to say that they prefer packin' in a shoulder holster. :D
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Kevin Keith wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:07 am I’m so confused. :)
You're welcome
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
rlucas
Member in Good Standing

I'm talking about packing tobacco in pipe not in a suitcase. I don't know why anyone would pack tobacco in a suitcase anyway.
"That's mighty bold talk for a one eyed fat man!" -Lucky Ned Pepper.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

rlucas wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:20 pm
I'm talking about packing tobacco in pipe not in a suitcase. I don't know why anyone would pack tobacco in a suitcase anyway.
To get it home
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

rlucas wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:20 pm
Man i’ve packed tobacco in suitcases for years now lol
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Richard Hanson wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:58 pm
I am greatly relived that you provided this explanation. I was much concerned that this "dry hitting" had something to do with my wife, in which case I perceive no benefits at all. The vernacular of this pipe smoking hobby is a significant hazard to domestic tranquility.

Warmest Regards,
Richard
:D
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.