Pipe rotation

Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Tsal wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:01 am There is one man that I know of that can give some information about pipe rotation. @Fr_Tom to the white courtesy telephone please @Fr_Tom to the white courtesy telephone.
Reporting for duty.

I have them in sets of 10 or so. They stay in numbered freezer ziplocks when not "out." I will smoke heck out of a set until I decide they need a break. Then I put them up and get out the next set. They are numbered so I work through all of them before I start over.

This seems to work pretty well for me.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Silver
Certified Codger

I have a regular rotation of the daily corncobs. After that, it's totally random.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:14 pm
Tsal wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:01 am There is one man that I know of that can give some information about pipe rotation. @Fr_Tom to the white courtesy telephone please @Fr_Tom to the white courtesy telephone.
Reporting for duty.

I have them in sets of 10 or so. They stay in numbered freezer ziplocks when not "out." I will smoke heck out of a set until I decide they need a break. Then I put them up and get out the next set. They are numbered so I work through all of them before I start over.

Whats your cleaning regime? Pipe cleaner between smokes?
Presby John-Dave

Reporting for duty.

Now that's a system!

As to the question of rotation, I have a rotation for aromatics and one for non-aromatics. I tend to let a pipe rest however many days per how many bowls I smoked. So, if I smoked 3 bowls from one pipe in a day, I let it rest for 3 days. I heard that was a good idea once and ran with it. If anything, it forces me to smoke a variety of pipes.
Comes meus fuit in illo miserrimo tempore - Sir Walter Raleigh
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Richard Hanson wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:36 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:33 am ... after however number of bowls , can get a pipe funky and thats probably a good time to move on to another pipe and let that one rest before cleaning it ...
Hi Ruffinogold,

I have been cleaning my pipes after every smoke, with more care at the end of the day, and then setting that pipe aside. Do you just rest your pipes dirty and then clean them before using them again?

Warmest Regards,
Richard
I guess when I said clean ... I meant a real cleaning . I probably run a pipe cleaner through a pipe every so often but not everytime , for sure . Dont get too weird with the cleaning , imho , as it isnt necessary [ unless it is ] and depending on how much you are cleaning may prevent it from building a cake for a hell of a long time if ever . A pipe cleaner after every smoke isnt a bad thing but I dont think thats a must unless its wet
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Piping Abe wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:38 pm
Reporting for duty.

Whats your cleaning regime? Pipe cleaner between smokes?
I don't knock them out hot unless i am driving or outside typically. In the house I put them down and knock ashes out cold. I will do a test draw to see if they might benefit from a pipe cleaner. They get one maybe every other smoke. Technically they get one end of a pipe cleaner as a rule if they need one.

When they need reaming, I often will take the stem off and run a doubled over pipe cleaner down the shank.

I subscribe to the school of thought that pipes are like cast iron skillets and you need to get loose bits off, but they require seasoning and you should not be too OCD about squeaky clean.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Reporting for duty.

Oy vey! :?
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Jlando19

Wait. You guys are cleaning pipes? Hahaha.

I think I sat down once and really cleaned all of mine for some reason. Now I’m in the “it gets a pipe cleaner if it needs it” camp.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Richard Hanson

Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:39 pm ... I subscribe to the school of thought that pipes are like cast iron skillets and you need to get loose bits off, but they require seasoning and you should not be too OCD about squeaky clean.
This ... wisdom.

Warmest Regards,
Richard
Living the lesepfeife life.
HSigurdsson

Not necessary but a lot more fun.....in my opinion.
Most of the year I have a huge "rotation" just because I loke it.
When it gets colder this time of year I usually just smoke my MM corn cobs. Ive been smoking the same Great Dane cob for the last 2 weeks.
I slow way down in winter due to the weather but get a few pipes in a week.
I have smoked this same cob 2x a day for a couple weeks and this current pipe of Yorktown tastes the same as it did 14 days ago.