Otomatone

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Middle Earth wrote: ↑Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:34 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: ↑Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:24 pm Seriously , Matt . Go snag a Yamaha acoustic guitar . Their entry priced guitars are quite good and playable and they sound fine ... like a guitar should . Many entry level priced guitars sound horrible , they really do . Id highly recommend a Yamaha . Their higher end guitars are off the chart and their mid priced are very excellent

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/F32 ... 0214104.gc
I get the enthusiasm for guitars. But the learning curve to play a guitar compared to enjoying a Theremin app on a phone is asymmetrical. The guitar and every instrument much past a bongo is commitment level. For me personally, I have zero musical aptitude. I had a guitar and a piano once upon a time. I have rudimentary music reading literacy. As a parent I felt it incumbent to expose the kids to music, sports whatever and let them decide. I would rather listen to others play instruments or sing than engage in it personally. I wish God had gifted me artistically/musically but alas I must have some other undiscovered talents. πŸ€”
I know what you're saying , I do . But the great thing about a guitar is that its actually really easy to learn 7 chords and play a bazillion songs .. but its one of the hardest instruments to master and really really play .. if that makes sense
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Autoharp ..... ya just gotta strum and push a button thing
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I can fumble around on the guitar, but I played sax for years...and I'm a utility bass player. I remember one time way back in the day being asked to sub-in on bass for weekend gig with a keyboard-driven group. Keyboard Buddy was a frustrated bass player, and all he wanted from me was to mimic his left hand. I understood why...and he was the boss, after all. But after the first night I told him, "Hey, you don't need me. You've got it well covered with your left hand." Boring.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

MikeDennison wrote: ↑Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:33 pm I can fumble around on the guitar, but I played sax for years...and I'm a utility bass player. I remember one time way back in the day being asked to sub-in on bass for weekend gig with a keyboard-driven group. Keyboard Buddy was a frustrated bass player, and all he wanted from me was to mimic his left hand. I understood why...and he was the boss, after all. But after the first night I told him, "Hey, you don't need me. You've got it well covered with your left hand." Boring.
Yeah man , thats no way to play . My middle son , Anthony , is a bad ass bass player .... though he plays like crazy metal shit . I took him out to a bar the other night to see some swing/rockabilly and the guy was jamming stand up [ upright ] bass .... he loved it , so theres hope
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Mr Beardsley wrote: ↑Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:21 pm
Middle Earth wrote: ↑Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:46 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: ↑Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:41 pm The tambourine is another instrument of joy.
We could start a list of primal instruments
I would add a cow-bell
I think I could apply myself to an elementary school recorder or a crude flute.
I was always a kazoo guy
This is what started me down this idea. It's less than forty bucks on Amazon.

-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Citizen B wrote: ↑Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:11 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: ↑Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:21 pm
Middle Earth wrote: ↑Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:46 pm

We could start a list of primal instruments
I would add a cow-bell
I think I could apply myself to an elementary school recorder or a crude flute.
I was always a kazoo guy
This is what started me down this idea. It's less than forty bucks on Amazon.

β€œIf you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Lol! Sounds like drunk frogs!
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Plinsc wrote: ↑Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:46 pm Lol! Sounds like drunk frogs!
Not at Burning Man.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Ruffinogold wrote: ↑Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:13 pm
MikeDennison wrote: ↑Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:33 pm I can fumble around on the guitar, but I played sax for years...and I'm a utility bass player. I remember one time way back in the day being asked to sub-in on bass for weekend gig with a keyboard-driven group. Keyboard Buddy was a frustrated bass player, and all he wanted from me was to mimic his left hand. I understood why...and he was the boss, after all. But after the first night I told him, "Hey, you don't need me. You've got it well covered with your left hand." Boring.
Yeah man , thats no way to play . My middle son , Anthony , is a bad ass bass player .... though he plays like crazy metal shit . I took him out to a bar the other night to see some swing/rockabilly and the guy was jamming stand up [ upright ] bass .... he loved it , so theres hope
A bass player gotta love that rhythm!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-