Prized Pipes

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Your most prized pipes be it, price, sentimental, value, rarity. What is your smoking with them look like? Do you take these pipes out of your house or smoking area? Travel with them? Do yard work with them?

Do you only smoke them when you get a real good hour or two? We know that seldom happens in life so these pipes may never get smoked at all.

Something I am pondering as look at $300-$400 pipes. My most expensive pipe is around $150 I think. But I’ll take it everywhere and don’t care about the rim burns. Maybe i’d feel different if I dropped, for me, a lot of money on a pipe. Maybe $400 is nothing for someone. Or maybe $100 is a lot. Or maybe it was your Grandfathers? It’s all subjective.

So how often do you smoke your Prized Pipes and when?

Also, I think our beaters we smoke the hell out of eventually become those prized pipes, but we don’t realize it. So maybe that is what we should do. Smoke the hell out of them!
Middle Earth

At this point I favor cobs for smoking regularly.
I do have more than a few nicer pipes which don’t get much use.
I am currently thinning the herd and have recently decided on my most prized pipes. First tier are commissions and a few others in addition. But again, I just like the way cobs smoke so those that make the cut will be more for display.
Some prize a birth-year Dunhill or a particular brand or carver.
If you do step up price-wise, it is cool to get a commission. I have always enjoyed the process.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Piping Abe wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:40 am Your most prized pipes be it, price, sentimental, value, rarity. What is your smoking with them look like? Do you take these pipes out of your house or smoking area? Travel with them? Do yard work with them?

Do you only smoke them when you get a real good hour or two? We know that seldom happens in life so these pipes may never get smoked at all.

Something I am pondering as look at $300-$400 pipes. My most expensive pipe is around $150 I think. But I’ll take it everywhere and don’t care about the rim burns. Maybe i’d feel different if I dropped, for me, a lot of money on a pipe. Maybe $400 is nothing for someone. Or maybe $100 is a lot. Or maybe it was your Grandfathers? It’s all subjective.

So how often do you smoke your Prized Pipes and when?

Also, I think our beaters we smoke the hell out of eventually become those prized pipes, but we don’t realize it. So maybe that is what we should do. Smoke the hell out of them!
I typically only take pipes out of the house if they could be replaced readily enough. I sometimes walk out with a fancier one in my mouth, but I am pretty good about this rule...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

The most prized pipe I have is a 1923 Pete I got from @rekamepip. (Where ya been, sir?) Id never take that pipe anywhere. But all the rest of my pipes are pretty pedestrian.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Richard Hanson

Gents,

I am new and lack the data to make a good judgement on a prized pipe as of yet. I have one pipe that was spendy, a Dunhill Alphorn, that I smoke exclusively at church but mostly because it came with a padded case which makes it safer to transport back and forth. I am starting to find that I do like some pipes more then others, but I am still sorting.

Warmest regards,
Richard
Living the lesepfeife life.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I tend to not get attached to things. Once something has outlived its usefulness, I move on to the next thing. I am rough on my pipes, and many other things, too.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

All of my pipes are equal in my eyes and, as you know, they all live in the garage regardless of price or any other factors. Tom eltang could hand deliver the world's most amazing pipe to my door and it would live out there with the rest of them. The only time I really take pipes out is for camping and they're all eligible for the trip. No matter how you slice it, it's just stuff. And stuff can be replaced.
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

I dont have one. I smoke cobs and the occasional briar.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

mrpipster wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:03 pm I dont have one. I smoke cobs and the occasional briar.
How do you like the prices of MM's new pipes? I think I am about to swear off cobs. They are moving in a direction different from my tastes.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

I like the newer offerings, I smoke the Diamondback quite a bit. The CG is my workhorse though. All my others with a couple exceptions, I inherited. They were dads and grandads.
Nothing worth money but I enjoy smoking them.
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering