What determines whether the pipe smoking is smooth enough?

Chceic

Recently I begin to think about what is a good pipe. In my country, they consider a great pipes should be smooth, when people smoking. However, I still do not know such performance tasted like. Is there any knowledge about that (I mean what aspects affect that, and how they determined) . By the way, most of pipe smokers treat texture of a brain is important, why? Is this because it affects a pipe's water absorption? :clap: :clap: :clap:
ric03

I don't ever think about grain. Its more about brand, shape and stem to me. I think its more to do with experience than pipe quality too. An experienced smoker will get a better smoke out of a cob than an inexperienced one will out of a high end pipe. It's best to just buy pipes you like the look and or feel of, something that suits your style and personality, find out what works best for you and graduallly build a collection of pipes you trust. If a pipe gives you a consistently enjoyable smoke, nothing else matters.
Middle Earth

Get the exterior finish you like. I can’t see any relationship between moisture and exterior finishes.
I don’t clench so the feel of the pipe in my had can be a consideration for me. But I like all finishes.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Apart from the user, tobacco and stem mechanics dictate moisture. You can have a really high end artisan pipe but if the fella doesn't know how to drill a stem and shape a slot the pipe will smoke really wet because of the turbulence of the draw. That is nerd talk. My advice is to buy any pipe that you can afford and looks good. The grain is the pipes aesthetic and has nothing to do with absorption. Smooth pipes with straight grain will be your most expensive whereas rusticated, blasted or any other texture hides flaws and will be less expensive.
The Troll Whisperer
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Well , there's a lot I could spew out in response to the question but Ill spare you the boredom of reading it all . In a nutshell ... the finish on the pipe is irrelevant . If youre after a good pipe buy one from a brand that most guys around here would say ... yes , those are good quality . Good quality comes in all price points , so dont think you have to go into the high end market to gain a good pipe .

A pipe is two holes and a stem .. and thats it . Briar that is processed correctly will make for a good pipe so long as the two holes are also done correctly . The finish .... is almost nothing other than aesthetics .... however , the look and feel of a pipe should be attractive to you . The best simple bet is to dry hit the pipe ..... dry hitting tells you alot . Dry hitting is also good to do before you light up because it can tell you how well its filled etc ..

Im rambling
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Brylon.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Chceic

Tsal wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:59 pm Apart from the user, tobacco and stem mechanics dictate moisture. You can have a really high end artisan pipe but if the fella doesn't know how to drill a stem and shape a slot the pipe will smoke really wet because of the turbulence of the draw. That is nerd talk. My advice is to buy any pipe that you can afford and looks good. The grain is the pipes aesthetic and has nothing to do with absorption. Smooth pipes with straight grain will be your most expensive whereas rusticated, blasted or any other texture hides flaws and will be less expensive.
Does that mean those handmade pipes are more of a work of art?
Chceic

Why some people prefer handmade pipes, just because these pipes looked good? I mean when pipes discussing about quality of smoking, what are they really talking about?
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Chceic wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:11 am
Tsal wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:59 pm Apart from the user, tobacco and stem mechanics dictate moisture. You can have a really high end artisan pipe but if the fella doesn't know how to drill a stem and shape a slot the pipe will smoke really wet because of the turbulence of the draw. That is nerd talk. My advice is to buy any pipe that you can afford and looks good. The grain is the pipes aesthetic and has nothing to do with absorption. Smooth pipes with straight grain will be your most expensive whereas rusticated, blasted or any other texture hides flaws and will be less expensive.
Does that mean those handmade pipes are more of a work of art?
Depends on what you are referring too. The wacky shaped thousand plus dollar pipes are.
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Chceic wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:20 am Why some people prefer handmade pipes, just because these pipes looked good? I mean when pipes discussing about quality of smoking, what are they really talking about?
People like to discuss pipe smoking. Forum halls would be empty if nobody had different opinions. Your best bet is to buy a pipe you like, smoke it and hang around a forum. It's fun.
The Troll Whisperer