The Burley Probe

Richard Hanson

Gents,

In the tasting of wine, if you have two glasses of wine and you can tell which you enjoy more, that is perhaps 90% of the process even if an enormous effort is expended on haughty or pretentious descriptions of each vintage. To that end, I now endeavor to discriminate between various tobaccos. I have acquired a pair of inexpensive Savinelli churchwarden black rusticated (601) pipes which are dedicated to the burley project. I have smoked ten bowls in each pipe with each pipe being exclusively used for one of the two tobaccos being compared.

Probe #1: L.J Peretti 52 v. L.J. Peretti 111. I like both of these offerings but the victory goes to #111. I have ordered two pounds of #111, one for the cellar and one for current enjoyment.

Warmest regards,
Richard
Living the lesepfeife life.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Well played, sir. Enjoy those tins in good health.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

I think this is a good idea. To dedicate a pipe to one blend that is.

Now even though you like 111 more, there may be days when you’ll want 52 more. That’s why I think it’s best to have a few favorites always around. But if your a one blend guy, that just makes everyone easy. Which is better in some aspects and not in others.

I don’t know which is my #1 favorite but I could smoke the same blend for a few weeks at a time. But eventually, i’ll want to change. Thats the fun part
Middle Earth

I believe I put a paint-can of 52 in “the box”
Richard Hanson

Gents,

Probe #1: L.J. Peretti #52 v. #111 was only the first.

Probe #2: Cornell & Diehl Haunted Bookshop v. Pegasus.

I hope to complete one Burley Probe each month. I will scrape and clean both pipes after each itereation and then smoke 10 bowls of each tobacco in the hope of overcoming any ghosting.

Warmest regards,
Richard
Living the lesepfeife life.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Didn't get no name? This test is invalid :lol:
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:21 pm Didn't get no name? This test is invalid :lol:
I can send him some :)
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Richard Hanson wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:01 pm Gents,

Probe #1: L.J. Peretti #52 v. #111 was only the first.

Probe #2: Cornell & Diehl Haunted Bookshop v. Pegasus.

I hope to complete one Burley Probe each month. I will scrape and clean both pipes after each itereation and then smoke 10 bowls of each tobacco in the hope of overcoming any ghosting.

Warmest regards,
Richard
Both wonderful blends. I can hold my thoughts until your done, to not influence, unless you want to know. I’ll be looking forward to your thoughts in this thread
ric03

I couldn't do that. Sometimes blends taste perfect, other times average (rarely, if ever, poor). And then the blends you thought were average suddely unexpectedly taste utterly fantastic. Good luck wiith it, though, Richard. I have read about many people, over the years, keeping notes on their cellar, so you should definitley read up more about it there's plenty of people posting their methods out there.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Good idea. Buy more pipes for the new tobaccos.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!