Latest pipe/tobacco you didnt buy [ lol ]

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

ric03 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:23 am I've almost bought one of these, Morgan Bones, a few times now due to their great price.

Does anyone own any of this line? Are they good smokers? And do they darken with age?
Yes they color, just like any other unstained briar pipe. But their damn gigantic acrylic stems are so uncomfortable I never smoked it and got rid of it.
ric03

Piping Abe wrote: ↑Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:29 am
ric03 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:23 am I've almost bought one of these, Morgan Bones, a few times now due to their great price.

Does anyone own any of this line? Are they good smokers? And do they darken with age?
Yes they color, just like any other unstained briar pipe. But their damn gigantic acrylic stems are so uncomfortable I never smoked it and got rid of it.
Doesn't sound softee-friendly then, glad I didn't order one πŸ‘
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

This. Abe nailed it. Mediocre smoking pipes with decent looks
β€œIf you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
ric03

Mr Beardsley wrote: ↑Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:03 am

Something didn't feel right, purely as I'd never seen them on the what are you smoking thread. Glad I asked now.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

ric03 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:55 am
Mr Beardsley wrote: ↑Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:03 am

Something didn't feel right, purely as I'd never seen them on the what are you smoking thread. Glad I asked now.
I tried them back when they were really cheap. The only thing that's changed is the price :lol:
β€œIf you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

ric03 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:15 am
Citizen B wrote: ↑Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:56 am

I would sand off the logo. That means I would have to go to the hardware store to buy sandpaper.

I have never bought one of these pipes.

I don't see why it wouldn't age nicely. I rather like the idea. I just don't relish a trip to the hardware store.
It's not the best, looks too much like cannabis leaves to me. Would have been better with a little skull and crossbones.

What don't you like going to the hardware store?
I dislike going out of my way. I actually like to go to the hardware store because I can buy what I need, one screw or one lamp chain--I don't need to buy a twenty-pack that I am going to toss in a couple of years because I only needed one.

That said, I will not be able to buy one quarter sheet of fine grain sandpaper, which is all I will want or need. I have to buy a pack of pre-cut sizes. That is how sandpaper is sold. It is not sold by the square inch, at least not in America.

I have an account at the hardware store. I don't really mind going, except that it is out of my way. The people who work there are very nice and always happy to help me out. I am not handy. I have no idea what I most of the hardware is for.

The hardware store is one of the few inconvenient errands that I run. It is, maybe 2 1/2 miles from my house. I know---cry me a river, King. It is inconvenient because it is not on the way to anywhere else I may want to visit. The hardware store is located at the furthest fringe of my daily geography. There is another one that is close but is an Ace Hardware, more corporate. I prefer Mike's Hardware and Supply on Elysian Fields Avenue. Mike's is more pure local and full of tradesmen. https://mhsnola.com/about/

I usually get into a conversation at the hardware store about something happening in the city. I like that part of it. I don't like the drive. That neighborhood has nothing to offer me aside from the mailbox place, which I only visit when I need to mail parcels, like during Christmastime or during a stop on a box pass.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Normally you can buy sandpaper by the sheet for a less than a Buck. I do it when it’s a small project. Ask a carpenter if you know one to share a bit.
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Plinsc wrote: ↑Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:33 pm Ask a carpenter if you know one to share a bit.
It never occurred to me to ask because I never bought a pipe that needed its logo sanded off to make it presentable.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
ric03

Citizen B wrote: ↑Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:08 pm
ric03 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:15 am
Citizen B wrote: ↑Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:56 am

I would sand off the logo. That means I would have to go to the hardware store to buy sandpaper.

I have never bought one of these pipes.

I don't see why it wouldn't age nicely. I rather like the idea. I just don't relish a trip to the hardware store.
It's not the best, looks too much like cannabis leaves to me. Would have been better with a little skull and crossbones.

What don't you like going to the hardware store?
I dislike going out of my way. I actually like to go to the hardware store because I can buy what I need, one screw or one lamp chain--I don't need to buy a twenty-pack that I am going to toss in a couple of years because I only needed one.

That said, I will not be able to buy one quarter sheet of fine grain sandpaper, which is all I will want or need. I have to buy a pack of pre-cut sizes. That is how sandpaper is sold. It is not sold by the square inch, at least not in America.

I have an account at the hardware store. I don't really mind going, except that it is out of my way. The people who work there are very nice and always happy to help me out. I am not handy. I have no idea what I most of the hardware is for.

The hardware store is one of the few inconvenient errands that I run. It is, maybe 2 1/2 miles from my house. I know---cry me a river, King. It is inconvenient because it is not on the way to anywhere else I may want to visit. The hardware store is located at the furthest fringe of my daily geography. There is another one that is close but is an Ace Hardware, more corporate. I prefer Mike's Hardware and Supply on Elysian Fields Avenue. Mike's is more pure local and full of tradesmen. https://mhsnola.com/about/

I usually get into a conversation at the hardware store about something happening in the city. I like that part of it. I don't like the drive. That neighborhood has nothing to offer me aside from the mailbox place, which I only visit when I need to mail parcels, like during Christmastime or during a stop on a box pass.
Well, that's certainly interesting to learn, @Citizen B, thanks for sharing it. I would probably prefer Mike's, too, (and it looks like a friendly place to go). We have a proper hardware store about three miles away. There's also a timber yard across the street from it.

I do tend to go to the corporate one, though, as it's only a short walk/drive, unless I need something specific. The staff there (Screwfix) are all very helpful, and sometimes even get Harry a digestive biscuit and (othre than the pet shop) it's his favourite place in town! It is more like a tradesman outlet, that are happy to serve DIY'ers, so the staff are quite knowedgable.

We did used to have a proper DIY store, which was quite big, by our town's standards, but that closed about a decade ago and is now a B&M (which sells everything from cheap food to furniture to kids toys... it does still have a small DIY section, though, and sells cheap paint and gardening stuff, so it's not entirely useless to me).