Musical instrument stuff

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I like to keep worlds separate and dont ever talk music stuff here . Ive been playing guitar as long as Ive been smoking a pipe . Actually a little longer , and Im sure there people here who jam as well . Honestly , Id rather talk pipes than music . I like to play music and not talk about it . For me its boring to talk about . But , in my case , I figure Id share cool gadget / equipment stuff that I think somerone else would take interest in knowing

For example :

Pig Hog guitar cables ............ https://pighogcables.com/

Anyone that uses cables know what happens to them , and usually too quickly . They either quit functioning , crackle , shit connection etc ... just whatever . Man , these pig hogs are so fantastic . Ive been using them for 3 years + and I havent had one issue with one yet . Im mean .. 0 issues . I dont know why they hold up and I dont care because they just do . Ill not ever buy another brand cable . The place I get them from semi locally doesn't have all the different colors but they come in different colors yada yada .. they even have a glow in the dark cable

Also , if you play guitar and have picks fling off your fingers while playing , I found a pick years ago that helps prevent that from happening . Historically , I played Herco picks forever ... they have a texture to them and are excellent . I still play them because they create a certain tone " when they hit the string . They are pretty grippy .... but .... if you can get used to these crazy things , theyre almost slip proof ............... star picks

Star Picks [ I play the .73 mm Yellow one ] ... you feel the skin of your finger through it , which is really frigging weird .... but , once you get your head around that and get used to it , youre not getting slippage hardly ever . Its a feel thing . I got on with them cause I was at a little store some where and they didnt have Hercos and I figured the idea of the Star Pick was at least logical so I gave it a whirl . Youll lose them before you can damage them also . Anyway , They are excellent and have a smoother attack than a Herco . Electric play , I can do either ... but acoustic pick playing ... its gottsa be these guys anymore and for some time now

It may help

https://guitarpickzone.com/best-everly-guitar-picks/
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Presby John-Dave

Funny you should post about cables. I'm in the market for one. I'll have to look into these.
Comes meus fuit in illo miserrimo tempore - Sir Walter Raleigh
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

I rarely have cable problems. I play upright, so I don't move around much. If at all. A cable lasts for years. I bought five 12'-ers at NAMM maybe 10 years ago. Special last-day show deal. Can't remember the brand, maybe Rapco? Three of them are still in unused.
ever forward
Presby John-Dave

arturo7 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:07 pm I rarely have cable problems. I play upright, so I don't move around much. If at all. A cable lasts for years. I bought five 12'-ers at NAMM maybe 10 years ago. Special last-day show deal. Can't remember the brand, maybe Rapco? Three of them are still in unused.
What's your upright?

I've always wanted to get one. I'd have to practice a ton. I play electric bass.
Comes meus fuit in illo miserrimo tempore - Sir Walter Raleigh
ncrobb
Founding Member

Cables always crap out on me too. The last couple I bought have been Live Wire or something like that. They have a lifetime warranty at Guitar Center and twice now I’ve walked in, told the person there the cable was bad and they walk over to the rack, hand me a new one and say “anything else today?” Picks....... Fender 351 Celluliod Heavy in whatever color available.

Next time I’m in a store I’ll take a look for both. Thanks for the tip.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Presby John-Dave wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:24 pm
arturo7 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:07 pm I rarely have cable problems. I play upright, so I don't move around much. If at all. A cable lasts for years. I bought five 12'-ers at NAMM maybe 10 years ago. Special last-day show deal. Can't remember the brand, maybe Rapco? Three of them are still in unused.
What's your upright?

I've always wanted to get one. I'd have to practice a ton. I play electric bass.
I have a Kay and a Rauner. Getting ready to sell the Rauner, I don't play it much. It's more of an orchestral instrument. The Kay is just a beast.
ever forward
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

ncrobb wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:32 pm Cables always crap out on me too. The last couple I bought have been Live Wire or something like that. They have a lifetime warranty at Guitar Center and twice now I’ve walked in, told the person there the cable was bad and they walk over to the rack, hand me a new one and say “anything else today?” Picks....... Fender 351 Celluliod Heavy in whatever color available.

Next time I’m in a store I’ll take a look for both. Thanks for the tip.
I think if a pig hog craps out you can walk in the store and theyll give you another as well . Thing is , I dont want it craping out playing live . Ive never had a cable last 3 years and I dont think Im too rough on them but maybe I am

Another thing I picked up was a tweed Fender 5 guitar stand/case . I cant recall bringing 5 guitars to a gig for myself [ 3 max ] but it gives others a place to place their instrument so they dont have to bring a stand or whatever . I mean , if Im bringing 1 guitar , I bring a single stand .

Tell you when this is exceptional .. is if youre playing somewhere and theres more than just your band playing , then your guys can keep their shit in one spot out of the way and thats nice as opposed to multiple singe stands or all cased up that you have to deal with that takes time

https://www.fender.com/en-US/accessorie ... CgQAvD_BwE
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
ncrobb
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:49 pm
Another thing I picked up was a tweed Fender 5 guitar stand/case . I cant recall bringing 5 guitars to a gig for myself [ 3 max ] but it gives others a place to place their instrument so they dont have to bring a stand or whatever . I mean , if Im bringing 1 guitar , I bring a single stand .

Tell you when this is exceptional .. is if youre playing somewhere and theres more than just your band playing , then your guys can keep their shit in one spot out of the way and thats nice as opposed to multiple singe stands or all cased up that you have to deal with that takes time

https://www.fender.com/en-US/accessorie ... CgQAvD_BwE
My son used one of those Fender case stands for years. It was great.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
ric03

I had a Fender Squier as a teenager and used to play Anthrax and Metallica quite badly and Hendrix really badly.
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

I can't speak to current quality but I have Monster cables that must be twenty years old, I'm surprised but my plan all those years ago was not to have cables crap out on me, they were costly but I've literally not purchased a cable since. More money for strings. Those briefcase style stands are great too, got a deal on one way back and it's still with me. Just get one if you have two or more guitars, they're worth it.