Cranberries and other foods that disappoint

ncrobb
Founding Member

I like fruit. Especially citrus. It contains Vitamin C which is Kryptonite to Scurvy but that is a different story. Today we decided to try a new fresh fruit with our breakfast. I like dried cranberries. I like cranberry sauce. What the heck is wrong with fresh cranberries? The texture is like an apple. There are four internal voids that must be vacuums for any good taste. Fresh cranberries are bitter and acidic and just not tasty at all. I’m used to the fresh fruit tasting different from the dried, canned or cooked version but I was not ready for fresh cranberries. I thought about throwing the rest of them in the field behind our house but I don’t want the deer and turkeys to eat one and think we are trying to poison them.

I don’t recall ever being so disappointed in a food. If you have run across others let me know so I don’t waste my tastebuds.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

I dont think i’ve tried a fresh Cranberry. Maybe. I probably did. Now I gotta go find some to give it a go!
ric03

I remember finding blueberries disappointing, thought they'd be sweet and juicy but they're quite subdued taste in reality. Grown to like them over the years though.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

You thought raw cranberries would be good? Lol
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Dragon fruit is disappointing.
The Troll Whisperer
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Canned peas for me, like having a bad cold. And everything my first wife attempted to cook.
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Fresh, raw cranberries are horrible. I've never known anyone to want to eat them like that. You can have your vengeance, @ncrobb, by stringing them with alternating popcorn pieces for Christmas decorations. You might find it satisfying to skewer each one with a needle. :D

@ric03, wild blueberries are sweet and juicy...at least in my experience. Farmed blueberries are bigger, but have much less flavor.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Plinsc wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:05 am Canned peas for me, like having a bad cold. And everything my first wife attempted to cook.
I like canned peas. :D
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
ric03

MikeDennison wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:07 am Fresh, raw cranberries are horrible. I've never known anyone to want to eat them like that. You can have your vengeance, @ncrobb, by stringing them with alternating popcorn pieces for Christmas decorations. You might find it satisfying to skewer each one with a needle. :D

@ric03, wild blueberries are sweet and juicy...at least in my experience. Farmed blueberries are bigger, but have much less flavor.
Useful to know, will keep an eye open for them (in the supermarkets that is, we don't get them "wild" wild around these parts).
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Zucchini is worthless.
ever forward