Cranberries and other foods that disappoint

arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:19 pm
arturo7 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:48 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:05 pm I love seafood and sushi but Uni was the biggest disappointment of my life. Tasted like dirty ass ocean and has mushy texture. Like a shitty tasting pudding that you have to chew. And that was from a very high end place before anyone tries the "you just had it at the wrong place" line of BS :lol:
I know you said not to but...

You had it at the wrong place. If you had to chew it don't ever go to that place again!

Even a high end sushi-ya will serve mediocre uni if they don't have the good stuff. With uni, it's either A+ or don't eat it.
It wasn't the wrong place. It's one of the things they are known for and the quality is always on point. It's shit that people are convinced is a delicacy. Like I always say, just because a chef calls it squab doesn't make it less pigeon.
If it is not to your taste, that's fine. No need to throw shade on those of us who enjoy it.

Uni is notoriously troublesome. The even the best suppliers are unable to deliver a consistent product. If there exists a sushi-ya that claims to specialize in uni they are completely full of shit.
ever forward
Tsal
Forum Decorum

pipedrum22 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:55 pm I have lobster about once every few years when I’m in Boston or near anyplace known for them. I’m always disappointed. Expensive. Bland. Boring…AND I have to fight to get the meat out. If I’m working for my food the juice better be worth the squeeze.
Perhaps Monkfish would be something worth a try. Tastes like lobster.
The Troll Whisperer
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

pipedrum22 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:55 pm I have lobster about once every few years when I’m in Boston or near anyplace known for them. I’m always disappointed. Expensive. Bland. Boring…AND I have to fight to get the meat out. If I’m working for my food the juice better be worth the squeeze.
I like lobster well enough, but it's not "all that and a bag of chips". And you're right, you don't get enough bang for yer bucks.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
ncrobb
Founding Member

Many years ago, a customer from Rhode Island asked me for my home address. A few days later a box arrived. My wife called me in a panic saying the box was “moving”. I got home later that day to find my friends had sent live lobsters. I had to call and get directions on preparing and eating them. I swear they screamed and held out their arms to keep from going into the pot. My wife and kids wouldn’t touch them so I drove over to my dad’s house (he had never had lobster either) and we knocked out 4 lobsters. Not something I have had since but we agreed they were better than the crawdads we ate from the creek.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Tsal
Forum Decorum

ncrobb wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:11 am Many years ago, a customer from Rhode Island asked me for my home address. A few days later a box arrived. My wife called me in a panic saying the box was “moving”. I got home later that day to find my friends had sent live lobsters. I had to call and get directions on preparing and eating them. I swear they screamed and held out their arms to keep from going into the pot. My wife and kids wouldn’t touch them so I drove over to my dad’s house (he had never had lobster either) and we knocked out 4 lobsters. Not something I have had since but we agreed they were better than the crawdads we ate from the creek.
That's a great memory.. thanks for sharing. Your wife and kids missed out.. lol
The Troll Whisperer
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

arturo7 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:06 am
arturo7 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:48 pm

I know you said not to but...

You had it at the wrong place. If you had to chew it don't ever go to that place again!

Even a high end sushi-ya will serve mediocre uni if they don't have the good stuff. With uni, it's either A+ or don't eat it.
It wasn't the wrong place. It's one of the things they are known for and the quality is always on point. It's shit that people are convinced is a delicacy. Like I always say, just because a chef calls it squab doesn't make it less pigeon.
If it is not to your taste, that's fine. No need to throw shade on those of us who enjoy it.

Uni is notoriously troublesome. The even the best suppliers are unable to deliver a consistent product. If there exists a sushi-ya that claims to specialize in uni they are completely full of shit.
I'm not throwing shade at those who enjoy it. I'm throwing shade at an apparent lack of comprehension
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Im with you . North atlantic lobster is meh . Now, florida lobster is sweet and a way nicer texture and flavor . When in the NE .... eat the Haddock because its an amazing fish . I spent near 2 weeks in Maine , New Hampshire and only a couple days in Mass , which I absolutely did not like at the time . I had their lobster that first evening I arrived and I was disappointed . My waiter was surprised I said the florida lobster was superb . S I asked him what fresh fish do they do up here that's truly good and he recommended the haddock dishes ..... he was right ! I ate Haddock in various dishes for the next 11days and loved every moment of it . What a wonderful white light fish . Being a Floridian at the time , I was a red snapper , grouper and flounder guy . I hadnt ever had haddock and Im glad I had it when I could
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
pipedrum22
Member in Good Standing

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:14 pm
Im with you . North atlantic lobster is meh . Now, florida lobster is sweet and a way nicer texture and flavor . When in the NE .... eat the Haddock because its an amazing fish . I spent near 2 weeks in Maine , New Hampshire and only a couple days in Mass , which I absolutely did not like at the time . I had their lobster that first evening I arrived and I was disappointed . My waiter was surprised I said the florida lobster was superb . S I asked him what fresh fish do they do up here that's truly good and he recommended the haddock dishes ..... he was right ! I ate Haddock in various dishes for the next 11days and loved every moment of it . What a wonderful white light fish . Being a Floridian at the time , I was a red snapper , grouper and flounder guy . I hadnt ever had haddock and Im glad I had it when I could
I love a nice whitefish. If you haven't tried lionfish, I'd encourage you to do so if a restaurant near you serves it. They're delicious and that fish has no natural predators and destroy a lot of habitats....so do your part and eat these tasty fish lol
“The sea was angry that day my friends!”
Puff nstuff

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:49 am
arturo7 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:06 am

I'm not throwing shade at those who enjoy it. I'm throwing shade at an apparent lack of comprehension
I had uni once, and it was wonderful. Like eating butter from the sea - it was sweet and soft and not at all chewy or off-putting. I'm sure that I ate it at the 'right' place, which was dock side as they were offloading boxes of freshly harvested urchins. Probably won't ever have that opportunity again.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Puff nstuff

Bull testicles in green sauce was somewhat disappointing.

There is a beautiful, storied bar in central Mexico City called the Bar Opera where they serve a lot of traditional foods. My wife and I were there years ago and decided to try the criadillas en salsa verde, sort of as a booze-fueled dare to see if we could bring ourselves to do it. And we did. They weren't terrible, but they weren't really all that good, either. The texture was mildly chewy, the taste somewhat like very mild liver. The sauce was what made the dish tolerable.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪