The Mysteries

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I just finished the new book called The Mysteries, by Bill Watterson, of Calvin and Hobbes fame, and John Katsch. It is a very quick read but, man, this book is a work of art.

I highly recommend it. Its simplicity is profound and the illustrations are perfect. It is a book to savor. I was going to reread it and opted not to. Too much of a good thing. I want to savor my first run through it. I purchased a copy for a friend. She will be getting hers delivered tomorrow. I cannot wait to talk with her about it.

I find this book magical and I am grateful to have read it.

That's this one joker's review.

Mrs. King looked at the last page and said, "This is going to be weird. I don't think I'll like it." I read the whole thing. I know she will like it. It is really good.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
ncrobb
Founding Member

Ok, I had to check it out. I’m a reader as well and I like real books (print not digital). It sounds and looks as if as much time was spent on the illustrations as the story line. It’s on my radar. Thanks for the tip. I just started The Last Outlaws by Tom Clavin; it’s about the final days of the Dalton Gang.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

ncrobb wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:32 am Ok, I had to check it out. I’m a reader as well and I like real books (print not digital). It sounds and looks as if as much time was spent on the illustrations as the story line. It’s on my radar. Thanks for the tip. I just started The Last Outlaws by Tom Clavin; it’s about the final days of the Dalton Gang.
This is a very quick read that will stick with you a long time.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I just looked at a youtube video on it . It looks to be as much reading as a comic book . Yeah , I bet that is a very quick read :)
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:42 am I just looked at a youtube video on it . It looks to be as much reading as a comic book . Yeah , I bet that is a very quick read :)
It is one or two sentences on one page and then a thought-provoking illustration on its facing page. I am saving it to reread for the first time tonight.

I found it contains a lot to ponder.

I wish you had posted the video you saw.

I bought it based on a review in the Wall Street Journal. I'm glad I did. My friend is going to get hers today. I can't wait to find out what she thinks.

I hope someone here reads it because I am besotted with it. If it wasn't Bill Watterson, this book wouldn't have seen the light of day. It is totally in my wheelhouse. God bless him.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Citizen B wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:05 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:42 am I just looked at a youtube video on it . It looks to be as much reading as a comic book . Yeah , I bet that is a very quick read :)
It is one or two sentences on one page and then a thought-provoking illustration on its facing page. I am saving it to reread for the first time tonight.

I found it contains a lot to ponder.

I wish you had posted the video you saw.

I bought it based on a review in the Wall Street Journal. I'm glad I did. My friend is going to get hers today. I can't wait to find out what she thinks.

I hope someone here reads it because I am besotted with it. If it wasn't Bill Watterson, this book wouldn't have seen the light of day. It is totally in my wheelhouse. God bless him.
I may go snag it . I find short stories to be awesome . I have a number of books that are collections of short stories from various authors . L. Lamore has some super serious awesome ones . Anyway if astory , worth telling , can be said in short order . I think thats most excellent . A 1200 page story is fine but a 30 page story that has as much or more impact is divine
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
ncrobb
Founding Member

@Citizen B

Thank you for bringing this book to my attention. It stays on my desk and I pick it up often, sometimes to read a few pages, sometimes just to see the artwork. I’ve read through it a number of times and each time my mind makes a connection to the ancient world or the Middle Ages or modern times. It’s drawings are like whimsical black and white photographs and it’s story seems to hold a relevant message. The last sentence provides an ending with the posibility for a continuation.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

ncrobb wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:04 pm @Citizen B

Thank you for bringing this book to my attention. It stays on my desk and I pick it up often, sometimes to read a few pages, sometimes just to see the artwork. I’ve read through it a number of times and each time my mind makes a connection to the ancient world or the Middle Ages or modern times. It’s drawings are like whimsical black and white photographs and it’s story seems to hold a relevant message. The last sentence provides an ending with the posibility for a continuation.
The last page is the best page. ;)

I bought this book four months ago and I still look at it. It really is a work of art.

The illustrations are fascinating in and of themselves. This is a book full of humanity, which, like the mysteries, is unfathomable. We make what sense we can of life.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ronv69
Founding Member

It looks like something I'd like. I have a couple of books of Gustave Dorė's illustrations that I can look at for hours.
God and Texas!