What Are You Reading?

ncrobb
Founding Member

We seem to have a number of threads about a wide variety of topics which adds character to the forum. I don't recall seeing one dedicated to what print media is currently being consumed. I know we have some "readers" among us, so what are you reading today?

I am finishing up book about the Dalton Gang - The Last Outlaws by Tom Clavin. It's been a good read so far giving a back story and adding in side bars about some of the people who were directly or indirectly a part of the story. I do have one thing to note and that is the author likes to throw in words that, while being used properly in context, are so far removed from daily use that at times is comical and others annoying. I found myself stopping to look up words: pusillanimous, plucky, hydra, floridly and alacrity all come to mind. I am not opposed to broadening my vocabulary - but I don't believe I will be able to weave these into my conversations.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I'm currently reading, Vanderbilt, the rise and fall of an American Dynasty.
The Troll Whisperer
apprenticeldr

I'm always reading multiple books (ADHD, I assume 🙃). Currently I'm reading Agent Running in the Field (LeCarre) and Volume two of March 1917 (Solzhenitsyn).
Quando omni flunkus moritati. :D
montag

I am about halfway through “Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays” by Stephen Hawking.
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

“ I never thought this could happen to me…”
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I am reading a biography about Jones Very. That was his name. It makes no sense. He was a junior. He was a Transcendentalist poet I had never heard of. I find this biography endlessly fascinating.

I have a copy of The Mysteries, by Bill Watterson, that I have been passing around so I can talk about this book with other people. It is about a ten minute read that sticks with you.

This Jones Very book will be a slog for most people. I eat it up like a deer at a salt lick.

The Mysteries is a primer. Jones Very is a master class.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

"The Shining Human Creature" Thomas Traherne
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

I’ve been wanting to read a book for a long time and now I finally started reading 1984 and it is extremly enthralling. Been staying up late reading it.
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Piping Abe wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:53 am I’ve been wanting to read a book for a long time and now I finally started reading 1984 and it is extremly enthralling. Been staying up late reading it.
Why aren't you out boozing on that ship like everyone else? :lol:
The Troll Whisperer
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Tsal wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:11 am
Piping Abe wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:53 am I’ve been wanting to read a book for a long time and now I finally started reading 1984 and it is extremly enthralling. Been staying up late reading it.
Why aren't you out boozing on that ship like everyone else? :lol:
Boozing and reading :thumbs:
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations