Whatcha’ Doin 2024

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

It is 70 degrees today. I was sweating as I mowed/raked the leaves. This place is terrible 🤣
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Today is Twelfth Night. It is the last day of Christmas and the first day of Carnival. Mrs. King and I are going to see the Krewe of Joan of Arc Parade. It is a medieval-themed candlelight walking parade in the French Quarter.

Mardi Gras is the holiday, Carnival is the season. Everyone in the city is in a wonderful mood as I make my rounds. We have stopped saying Happy New Year. We now say Happy Carnival.

I saw the 610 Stompers practicing their moves on Bienville Street today.

I have lived here too long. This makes total sense to me: https://610stompers.com. I wonder how much sense it makes to you.

When I caught them practicing, they were out of uniform. The sheriff's cars were blocking the intersections. I took the Vespa up on the sidewalk. The Stompers were moving too slowly for me. I had stuff to do. People were on the sidewalk. They came out of their houses to cheer on the Stompers. Carnival has started! It's a tradition. Everyone was happy. We were all smiling and laughing and wishing each other a Happy Mardi Gras.

I am still very much a cranky Yankee at my core but I love living in The City That Care Forgot. It is the total opposite of the Land of the Bean and the Cod.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Just finished Vespers.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Citizen B wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:41 pm Today is Twelfth Night. It is the last day of Christmas and the first day of Carnival. Mrs. King and I are going to see the Krewe of Joan of Arc Parade. It is a medieval-themed candlelight walking parade in the French Quarter.

Mardi Gras is the holiday, Carnival is the season. Everyone in the city is in a wonderful mood as I make my rounds. We have stopped saying Happy New Year. We now say Happy Carnival.

I have lived here too long. This makes total sense to me: https://610stompers.com. I wonder how much sense it makes to you.

When I caught them practicing, they were out of uniform. The sheriff's cars were blocking the intersections. I took the Vespa up on the sidewalk. The Stompers were moving too slowly for me. I had stuff to do. People were on the sidewalk. They came out of their houses to cheer on the Stompers. Carnival has started! It's a tradition. Everyone was happy. We were all smiling and laughing and wishing each other a Happy Mardi Gras.

I am still very much a cranky Yankee at my core but I love living in The City That Care Forgot. It is the total opposite of the Land of the Bean and the Cod.
Whens the King Cake?
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Piping Abe wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:08 pm
Citizen B wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:41 pm Today is Twelfth Night. It is the last day of Christmas and the first day of Carnival. Mrs. King and I are going to see the Krewe of Joan of Arc Parade. It is a medieval-themed candlelight walking parade in the French Quarter.

Whens the King Cake?
Tonight is the first day that we eat King Cake. Then, if you work in an office, you will eat it every day until Lundi Gras. You will eat it on Mardi Gras Day, too, but you won't be in the office on Mardi Gras--everything is closed.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
montag

Citizen B wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:41 pm
Tonight is the first day that we eat King Cake. Then, if you work in an office, you will eat it every day until Lundi Gras. You will eat it on Mardi Gras Day, too, but you won't be in the office on Mardi Gras--everything is closed.
I do business with a company just outside of New Orleans. They are open 24/7 every day of the year except Christmas Day and Fat Tuesday.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Citizen B wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:21 pm
Piping Abe wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:08 pm

Whens the King Cake?
I'm already down to the last piece of King cake. Not being Catholic, I didn't know there was rules. Threw out the beads, always reluctant to chunk the baby.
God and Texas!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Carnival has officially begun!

-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

@Ruffinogold you guys doing alright up there?

Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Yep, I’m in the yellow above Atlanta
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering