On The Amount of Pipes We Have

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:44 pm We do it because we can
But why collect a ton of pipes? Or why not just smoke rollies?
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Piping Abe wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:56 pm
I've had a substantial shift in my mentality over the past 18 months that I'll dip into a bit in a bit. Right now I'm playing with the pupster lol
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Piping Abe wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:55 pm
Tsal wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:32 pm The old timers smoked a pipe because it was a healthier alternative to cigarettes and it was cheaper.
Why do you think most people smoke pipes these days? Why have pipes fallen out of favor? Just generating discussion
People have been brainwashed over the years to want to live cookie cutter, sterile lives. People want to die healthy.
The Troll Whisperer
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I think its a societal consumerist difference is all . There have always been collectors but it does seem , in my experience knowing the old guys in my life , some of which were born in the late 1800's , that excessive anything was frowned upon . I mean consider my grandfather , born in the 1890s . Hed seen basically everything from the last years of the horse as a primary means of transportation , non existent electricity , radio , tv , etc etc etc ... He fought in two world wars , experienced teh depression and on and on . Our nation was more agricultural and coming into the industrial age , which we have gone through and has now changed into frigging George Orwell bullshit times [ imho ] . So , some of the frugalness from back in teh day stayed with folks for a while
Anyway , look at closets in homes made prior to even the 80's . Closets were , for the most part , shy of 4 feet wide with a clothes rod and a shelf above it for storing your stuff . Sure , there were homes with all kinds of bougie shit for the times but Im talkin your average American home . AS we started tapering our manufacturing and foreign products flowed in cheaply we became more prone to want more shit , basically . The 80's is when things really started to kick in with the bougie mindset across the board , as far as I can tell . A robust economy , cocaine , shitty music [ its what destroyed rock ] , Tech emerging and housing and insurances more in check ... that situation led to where wwe are , which is we want every damn thing . Its been 40 years of " stuff " and we are jaded ..... its not our fault , lol

You dont need many pipes . You don't need much tobacco , or shouldnt , but we keep our eye on the marxist/nazi mindset of government towards tobacco , so its not a bad idea to have a good stash .

We are spoiled . And we are spoiled lazy compared to generations in the past .

Heres a great example of how and why that's absolutely true .

My cholesterol is quite high . Ive lost a good amount of weight and stay pretty active but it doesnt matter .... why ... because of past generations . My grandfather was a stone / tile guy , so was his father etc etc etc ... probably back to the bastids that built Rome . Those guys were carrying 150 lbs of marble on their back climbing scaffolding 10 + hours a day 6 days a week . What do I do compared to that .... shit .
So , over generations genetics develop a " memory " . My ancestors calorie intake was huge and they burned the shit out of them compared to me and genetically that became the norm . All of a sudden , within the last 100 years ..... we dont work like our ancestors did , we just dont and our genetic memories need time to adjust to being lazy shit asses in comparison . People say our diet is the issue but its not so much diet as our work has decreased to where our diet is over done for the work load . Eat the things you want but eat way less of it than your great great grandfather

So , that ^^^^^^^^ is a physical scientific [ somewhat ] explanation of change over time and in that way [ kind of ] our buying habits and buying " needs ' have become what they are . In essence , we work less , buy way more shit , are living longer and are spoiled as gee willikers ! Its a great time to be alive so get all the frigging pipes and tobacco you want before the government goes complete shit show and our western way of life gets butt F'ed back into agricultural days . It will happen and is inevitable and could happen sooner or way later

That ^^^ was the most I ever want to write . Not that I wanted to write all that but I did because its Abe and hes a younger dude .

In a Nutshell ...we are lazy spoiled fucks and its the best time to be alive !!!!!!! We just need to not lose our freedom
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:04 pm
I've had a substantial shift in my mentality over the past 18 months that I'll dip into a bit in a bit. Right now I'm playing with the pupster lol
Okay so I'll dip into this a little bit while I eat a little lunch. Most people don't know how truly shitty things were for me financially for a while there. It's not an exaggeration to say that I almost lost everything more than once. The side effect of that situation is that I realized what made ME happy, and it wasn't material goods.

As a society we are now convinced that our possessions define us as people. That treating ourselves is something we not only deserve but NEED to make ourselves happy and our lives more fulfilling. They literally refer to it as "retail therapy" and it has become a vicious circle of spending money on shit we've been convinced makes us better and if our shit is better than someone else's shit we're better than them. Hit the bottom and let me know how much that shit matters vs putting food on the table. It's a trap.

In the heyday of pipe smoking there weren't huge collections as a norm. That's a byproduct of keeping up with the joneses. Our collection of pipes is the same as the dude next door collecting Jordan's or trading cards or comics or whatever. We do it because we can and because it in some way makes us feel superior. We get addicted to that endorphin rush and it's as bad as any drug out there.

So now it's 2024 and I'm not joking even a little bit when I say I'm committed to paring down to 8 or 9 pipes total. I've already sold pipes or tobacco because I needed to keep my truck out of repo, pay the government for the privilege of owning a car, or put food on the table. Possessions mean absolutely nothing to me nowadays. I've built a collection of pipes I want and enjoy and the rest can piss off. If things went sideways again the 8 or 9 keepers can piss off too.

If a dude wants 5000 pipes, cool. No judgment from me. It just doesn't work for me anymore. And it feels nice.
pipedrum22
Member in Good Standing

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:02 pm

Okay so I'll dip into this a little bit while I eat a little lunch. Most people don't know how truly shitty things were for me financially for a while there. It's not an exaggeration to say that I almost lost everything more than once. The side effect of that situation is that I realized what made ME happy, and it wasn't material goods.

As a society we are now convinced that our possessions define us as people. That treating ourselves is something we not only deserve but NEED to make ourselves happy and our lives more fulfilling. They literally refer to it as "retail therapy" and it has become a vicious circle of spending money on shit we've been convinced makes us better and if our shit is better than someone else's shit we're better than them. Hit the bottom and let me know how much that shit matters vs putting food on the table. It's a trap.

In the heyday of pipe smoking there weren't huge collections as a norm. That's a byproduct of keeping up with the joneses. Our collection of pipes is the same as the dude next door collecting Jordan's or trading cards or comics or whatever. We do it because we can and because it in some way makes us feel superior. We get addicted to that endorphin rush and it's as bad as any drug out there.

So now it's 2024 and I'm not joking even a little bit when I say I'm committed to paring down to 8 or 9 pipes total. I've already sold pipes or tobacco because I needed to keep my truck out of repo, pay the government for the privilege of owning a car, or put food on the table. Possessions mean absolutely nothing to me nowadays. I've built a collection of pipes I want and enjoy and the rest can piss off. If things went sideways again the 8 or 9 keepers can piss off too.

If a dude wants 5000 pipes, cool. No judgment from me. It just doesn't work for me anymore. And it feels nice.
Well if you have any Peterson’s that you loathe and want to offload, you know who to message 😬
“The sea was angry that day my friends!”
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

pipedrum22 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:20 pm

Well if you have any Peterson’s that you loathe and want to offload, you know who to message 😬
Eyes Iike a hawk , you :lol:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Beardsley doesn’t smoke Peterson’s. Because the P-Lip is a scam.
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I was smart enough to get rid of the petersons years ago :lol:
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Pipes require a tad bit more effort is why I think they lost some ground. People are lazy by nature nowadays.
That might be said up there^ but it looked like I’d have to concentrate a little to read it all.
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering