On The Amount of Pipes We Have

Tsal
Forum Decorum

Plinsc wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:48 pm Pipes require a tad bit more effort is why I think they lost some ground. People are lazy by nature nowadays.
That might be said up there^ but it looked like I’d have to concentrate a little to read it all.
I scroll right past to the short posts such as yours. :lol:
The Troll Whisperer
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Tsal wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:57 pm
Plinsc wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:48 pm Pipes require a tad bit more effort is why I think they lost some ground. People are lazy by nature nowadays.
That might be said up there^ but it looked like I’d have to concentrate a little to read it all.
I scroll right past to the short posts such as yours. :lol:
Great minds can hang in there :shock: :lol:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
rekamepip
Codger in Training

^
Spot on from my point of view
Time and Effort of pipe smoking is probably a main factor for lazy people who want instant gratification

They do get it and toss it out in the trash like everything else
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I don't know why anyone else smokes a pipe, I just know my own reasons. I grew up in a non smoking home, but was always "pipe curious". It wasn't until I was past middle age and almost crippled by anxiety that I finally picked up the pipe. It's been an incredible help in the regard...just the whole process. Anyway, that's just me. I love it.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Great discussion.

@Mr Beardsley I think you are pretty spot on. But when I think of getting rid of all of my pipes and tobacco, and I mean everything I think of the quote in @Presby John-Dave signature: "It was my companion at that most miserable time". It’ll always be with me on this Earth! But I could slim down a lot for sure.

@Ruffinogold a lot of great points, some I never even thought about but makes a lot of sense. A question for you: what was your average pipe smoking customer like in your B&M days? Just coming in to get his ration of 1Q? Or did he pick up something new every now and again.
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
sisyphus
Person of Interest

I've trimmed down to 58 or so I think
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Piping Abe wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:38 pm Great discussion.

@Mr Beardsley I think you are pretty spot on. But when I think of getting rid of all of my pipes and tobacco, and I mean everything I think of the quote in @Presby John-Dave signature: "It was my companion at that most miserable time". It’ll always be with me on this Earth! But I could slim down a lot for sure.

@Ruffinogold a lot of great points, some I never even thought about but makes a lot of sense. A question for you: what was your average pipe smoking customer like in your B&M days? Just coming in to get his ration of 1Q? Or did he pick up something new every now and again.
I get that Abe but sometimes life throws a curveball and you have to decide what would make you more miserable... No pipe to burn tobacco in? Or no car to get to work? Or no money to put food on your table? It's a tough question to answer when things are going passably well and an easy question when the chips are down
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ronv69
Founding Member

sisyphus wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:11 pm I've trimmed down to 58 or so I think
I sold one pipe to buy my last gun. I need to stop.
God and Texas!
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:40 pm

I get that Abe but sometimes life throws a curveball and you have to decide what would make you more miserable... No pipe to burn tobacco in? Or no car to get to work? Or no money to put food on your table? It's a tough question to answer when things are going passably well and an easy question when the chips are down
Completely understandable. Thanks for sharing your story with us.
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Piping Abe wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:18 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:40 pm

Completely understandable. Thanks for sharing your story with us.
The bright side of it all is that as long as you have somewhat desirable pipes or tobacco you can turn it into currency
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin