On The Amount of Pipes We Have

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Everyone knows that the Old Timers we talk about, they may have been your family members or you have seen them out and about, had very few pipes usually. Of course there were collectors back then though.

These men smoked their pipes, probably all day or most days. And then when one went down, they bought another. These are things most of us on the forum know.

Why did we move away from that? Why do I have around 50 pipes right now? And why do I spend over a $100 on any of them?

What was the purpose of smoking a pipe back then versus now? Is that the reason for the change?

Do I need 100 different blends? Because when I smoke a rare few I could smoke them non-stop all day and be satisfied. We know they didn’t cellar back then, it was always available. Tobacco was everywhere.

Yes I keep certain pipes because they have been with me during certain periods in my life that I remember distinctly having that pipe at that moment. Old Timers may consider this nonsense.

Would love to hear everyones take on this.
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Ronv69
Founding Member

I have between 220 and 250 pipes. I probably have a hundred different blends, most of which I have never tried, but I want to.
God and Texas!
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Ronv69 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:49 pm I have between 220 and 250 pipes. I probably have a hundred different blends, most of which I have never tried, but I want to.
But why do you think that is Ron? I’m sure you have experienced the men of the past with very few pipes to meet their needs.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Piping Abe wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:53 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:49 pm I have between 220 and 250 pipes. I probably have a hundred different blends, most of which I have never tried, but I want to.
But why do you think that is Ron? I’m sure you have experienced the men of the past with very few pipes to meet their needs.
I like pipes. I like the art of the pipe. Yes, I could do with fewer. Probably 50 could be thrown out with no loss. But even the bad ones contain memories of my learning about pipes. Most of them are just fine, in fact most are excellent. I have no need to divest and they are long paid for so I'll keep them for now. All the tobacco I have is stuff I want to smoke, except for the straight Virginias that I bought after hearing rave reviews. But the Christmas Cheer is kind of like a certificate of deposit. The others I yearn to taste. Can't smoke at the moment because of temporary health issues. Problem is that I've had several consecutive health issues over the past 3 years that have kept me from my pipes. Hopefully, this will soon pass, or I will. Either way, problem solved.
God and Texas!
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

I have maybe 25 pipes total, out of those I smoke 4. Most of the others is purely nostalgia as they were dads and grandads so I enjoy looking at them.
I have a pile of tobacco and every tin/ bag has been opened lol. I was trying to find a handful of different types I hope to copy (somewhat) as I venture into growing my own plants.
I don’t feel a need to buy any more pipes until I get tired of those 4.
So I guess I fall into the old day standards.
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Tsal
Forum Decorum

The old timers smoked a pipe because it was a healthier alternative to cigarettes and it was cheaper.
The Troll Whisperer
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I would guess that the hobby/collecting bug is a big reason we buy so many pipes and different tobaccos. I had fun with it too until I finally settled on the tobacco I enjoy most. Both of my grandads smoked pipes, but they weren't hobbyists or collectors. They couldn't afford to be.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

We do it because we can
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:44 pm We do it because we can
+1
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Tsal wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:32 pm The old timers smoked a pipe because it was a healthier alternative to cigarettes and it was cheaper.
Why do you think most people smoke pipes these days? Why have pipes fallen out of favor? Just generating discussion