Major Overhaul of the Likes System and an OOPS

sisyphus
Person of Interest

Guys the Likes system on our forum is not part of the software that runs everything at PSF. While this tacked on system was functional and seemed fairly robust, trust me when I say they whole thing was held together with wire and duct tape.

I just finished a major overhaul of the Likes system so that this functionality would continue to work as the web languages that drive it evolve. We were in real danger of having a Likes system that stopped working the next time there was a new version of PHP. Now we should have years of continued function without having to do anything to keep it that way.

The big downside is that this wiped out the entire history of Likes here on PSF. I tried really hard to preserve the existing Likes, but it was either impossible or beyond my skill. I am very sorry for that.

The new system is running and everything seems to be as it should be. Please comment here in this thread if you encounter ANYTHING about the Likes system that doesn't seem right so that I can fix it right away. Thank you!
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Oh snap. You made it so the website doesn’t refresh when you like a post. That is a big upgrade and I appreciate the work you do to keep this place up.
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
sisyphus
Person of Interest

I CAN restore the old Likes we lost, but it will come at the expense of 10 days of content, posts and Likes. You guys decide if you want the old Likes back bad enough to lose a week and a half of PSF.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

sisyphus wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:40 am I CAN restore the old Likes we lost, but it will come at the expense of 10 days of content, posts and Likes. You guys decide if you want the old Likes back bad enough to lose a week and a half of PSF.
No.
sisyphus
Person of Interest

that's kind of how I'm leaning. Just Like the hell out of stuff when you're reading old threads and eventually we'll get most of those lost Likes back
ric03

Agree with @Piping Abe, so much smoother now not having to wait for the page to refresh each time, was especially annoying with doddering fingers on a phone/tablet and bad eyesight :cry:
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

sisyphus wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:40 am I CAN restore the old Likes we lost, but it will come at the expense of 10 days of content, posts and Likes. You guys decide if you want the old Likes back bad enough to lose a week and a half of PSF.
Hey - clean slate on the likes I say. The content is a LOT more important than the likes.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Ronv69
Founding Member

Let it go. Thanks boss for your work. You are appreciated.
God and Texas!
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

@sisyphus I have my notifications turned off for likes but I am still recieving the notifications. I will try logging out/clearing cache and such

sisyphus
Person of Interest

I just flushed the site cache too