Major Overhaul of the Likes System and an OOPS

Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

:D ^
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Tsal
Forum Decorum

sisyphus wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:36 pm the only way to get back likes is to restore from a Dec 29 backup and then pray that the unsupported third party add on that does the Likes isn't broken by some future version of our forum software. It was a rickety setup that we were lucky it worked for as long as it did. Adding it back in throws database errors and shuts PSF down. I have gone through the database tables by hand and removed every entry of the Likes system, and yet it still does this.

So you guys decide, we're fine without Likes just like pipe forums were 10 years ago, or we lose January 2024 forever and get Likes back, at least for a while.
Lose the likes, we don't need them.
The Troll Whisperer
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

:D
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I'm fine with no likes. I've adjusted.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
rlucas
Member in Good Standing

To like or not to like, makes no difference to me.
"That's mighty bold talk for a one eyed fat man!" -Lucky Ned Pepper.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO LOSE THE ARCHIVES.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Tsal wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:45 pm
sisyphus wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:36 pm the only way to get back likes is to restore from a Dec 29 backup and then pray that the unsupported third party add on that does the Likes isn't broken by some future version of our forum software. It was a rickety setup that we were lucky it worked for as long as it did. Adding it back in throws database errors and shuts PSF down. I have gone through the database tables by hand and removed every entry of the Likes system, and yet it still does this.

So you guys decide, we're fine without Likes just like pipe forums were 10 years ago, or we lose January 2024 forever and get Likes back, at least for a while.
Lose the likes, we don't need them.
Likewise, I'm sure. Lose 'em.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Combing through the archives, as I tend to do, I have to admit, I enjoy not being distracted by the likes. The conversation just flows like leaves on a trout brook.

It is much nicer to just read people talk and not care what other people thought about it.

Just talk. That is what we are here for.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Citizen B wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:49 pm Combing through the archives, as I tend to do, I have to admit, I enjoy not being distracted by the likes. The conversation just flows like leaves on a trout brook.

It is much nicer to just read people talk and not care what other people thought about it.

Just talk. That is what we are here for.
I agree with everything you said. But I also appreciate a like/reaction system. Theres not much to say that hasn’t already been said.

PSF will live on.
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Piping Abe wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:52 pm
PSF will live on.
Life is full of predictable petty disappointments.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.