Major Overhaul of the Likes System and an OOPS

Ronv69
Founding Member

I find that I'm really not liking the missing likes. It's the feedback that makes the forum feel alive. When I post, I don't know if anyone ever saw it or read it. It's very discouraging. I find myself not being interested in the forum anymore.
God and Texas!
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Ronv69 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:45 pm I find that I'm really not liking the missing likes. It's the feedback that makes the forum feel alive. When I post, I don't know if anyone ever saw it or read it. It's very discouraging. I find myself not being interested in the forum anymore.
Great point Ron. I do agree with others that it is more about actually interacting through our replies however. But I think your point is also very valid and I agree with you a lot.
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Ronv69 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:45 pm I find that I'm really not liking the missing likes. It's the feedback that makes the forum feel alive. When I post, I don't know if anyone ever saw it or read it. It's very discouraging. I find myself not being interested in the forum anymore.
For whatever it’s worth, I read everyone’s posts
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Plinsc wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:06 pm

Me too. If I open up a thread, I actually read the posts. Don't comment often because I have nothing meaningful to say. But I read em!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I'm reading your stuff, sir.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Plinsc wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:06 pm
It must be nice to have ample free time to waste just skylarking about. I wouldn't know.

I am looking at you, Plinsc.

In all seriousness, though, what the lack of likes does is make me reread my own posts less. I rather like that. I do not need to read what I already said an hour ago, yesterday, or two days ago, every time someone likes it.

If a thread is marked as having new material, I click it and engage. I love those green checkmarks. The red X, not so much.

As someone who churns out content for a living, and, let me tell you, an artist never has any control of how his audience will receive his efforts, I am generally indifferent to likes. I found it disconcerting in the beginning but I don't really come to PSF for affirmation. I am a codger. I generally go through life not caring what other people think. I know you are shocked to learn this.

Grab the smelling salts.

PSF is social media, yes, but it is not Facebook.

As long as I don't get kicked off for talking about dandruff and Slavic mail-order brides, it makes no difference to me what the like policy is. I come for the company. :tumble:
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

It is rather nice.
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Tsal
Forum Decorum

As a moderator I read everyone's post.
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

It's like retraining your brain to just go with the flow. 10 years ago there was no such thing as likes on forums but they ran just fine. Think of of PSF as old fashioned, seems fitting for a pipe forum.
The Troll Whisperer
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Tsal wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:57 pm As a moderator I read everyone's post.
Well, don't you have the life of Reilly!
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.