I did an odd thing

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

My " cellar " , which is a large cabinet in my kitchen , was getting a bit full . The stacks of tins were blocking the view of the jars , which is mainly what i smoke out of . So , I yanked the tins and put them in a box in a closet . This , after I took the OTC tubs out and put them in the closet because they made it to where it was hard to see anything

The plus side is that I can see better the jarred tobaccos

The con side is this ...

Im fearful of filling up with tins again being it looks so odd with them not there

Also , most of the jars are vintage stuff that I dont smoke often , exception on occasion , and I had an idea of putting them in a box as well , lol . In which case there would only be the jars that I smoke out of often ... the go tos

So now Im thinking , maybe make a new place for go to blends and put everything else back in the cabinet as a " cellar " , which kind of makes sense .

Oh the bothersome problems of tobacco storage and display . Its times like this that I kinda wish I just bought a few blends and not stored tobacco , like I used to do for many decades before PSF 1

You guys ever change up the way you store / display the stash ?
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I just keep my 5 blends scattered around the house. Nothing is really on display
The Troll Whisperer
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Tsal wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:34 pm I just keep my 5 blends scattered around the house. Nothing is really on display
I used to be that way for 3 decades .. then I showed up on PSF , the bastids
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:44 pm
Tsal wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:34 pm I just keep my 5 blends scattered around the house. Nothing is really on display
I used to be that way for 3 decades .. then I showed up on PSF , the bastids
You have succumbed to the pressures of social media. I was fortunate enough to see through the smoke and mirrors early on the forums.
The Troll Whisperer
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

My stuff isn't for display at all, but I do need to reorganize it. It's descended into tobacco chaos over the last year.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Truck, by the back door, shed, and cabinet in the bedroom. My kingdom is my cellar.
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

When I say display , I mean that in a storage way of being able to see what you have . I still cant see most stuff because the jars are 3 deep but I can at least keep the go tos where I can see them ofrknow where they are now .Maybe Ill even arrange them , in the least , by aros and non aros . That way I can shoot for a direction
Ive noticed some guys have plastic bins full .... thats probably better than a cardboard box and i think Ill go get one tomorrow if I can remember

This is a jar size I just now saw for the first time . Empty , it weighs 2.5 lbs ... https://www.target.com/p/ball-64oz-glas ... A-87887607
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I have no cellar to speak of, just whatever is laying around at the moment. I don't jar or collect. Whatever I have, that is what I smoke.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Citizen B wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:43 pm I have no cellar to speak of, just whatever is laying around at the moment. I don't jar or collect. Whatever I have, that is what I smoke.
That is the " old way " , lol . Nah , I hear ya . I just have a bunch of stuff crammed into a cabinet in the kitchen . I am always slightly concerned , in the back of my head , that the fed powers will come down hard on us , out of the blue , at any moment . I do think it is inevitable , given the distain for tobacco [ while drugs are becoming legal ] , but who knows . I guess I just like having a stash for if one day we go to buy some pipe tobacco and it looks like a shit show like in other countries . That will be heart breaking and I just think , in time , it will be that way
I never used to think about it until it was mentioned a decade or more ago on psf . I sold the shop in the late 90s and grabbed a 5 lb bag of MB Scottish on the way out . That and an occasional otc or tin was my mode . It was easy
Whats the cost of a 25 gram pouch in the uk now .... like 20 bucks or something ?! I mean a 25 gram pouch , lol , I couldn't believe it last time I was in merry olde England . 25 grams just isnt a lot of tobacco . I wonder what a pound of bulk tobacco costs there and in other countries where they just screw smokers hard . I recently posted a UK news article , I think on FB , where the money brought in from tobacco taxes far exceeds the cost of smokers health care ... and of course it does ...

WE , as smokers , while walking in public should be greeted and thanked by the general population .... and thats the frigging truth
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

I used to store all my jars in the mirrored glass cabinet you saw on Zoom (everyone should join in, it’s a lot of fun). But then my cellar kept expanding and so I bought a long and short tote that goes under my bed. I also converted almost all mason jars to mylar to save on space and weight. I still have some jars. And I keep tin tobacco how it is. I really like the Peretti Paint Cans for storage too. I pop it open and grab some when I need it. The tobacco is packed so tight I don’t see it changing moisture levels for a while. And it could dry out a tad.

I only keep whats currently in rotation in the pipe cabinent and switch out the blends when I feel like it.
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations