Severe Moderation

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

@sisyphus used a term elsewhere that summed up what I think about pipe smoking. He said something required severe moderation.

Put those two words together and think about it.

I know. It is no easier for me. They are, however right in this situation.

If you smoke too fast, you will smoke too hot and you will get tongue bite. Slow down, you move to fast. You have to make the pipe bowl last.

I am not talking about PAD or TAD, which are pathologies unto themselves. Those are exercises in obsessive excess.

I am talking about the process of proceeding through smoking a bowl of pipe tobacco. It is an exercise in sever moderation---not too fast and not too slow. It takes endless trial and error to learn how to pack it just right, just the way you like it.

It is too early to tamp. It is better to wait. Tamp with severe moderation.

Limit your matches and you will smoke like a champ.

A reliably cool, dry smoke cannot be achieved through technology and gimmickry alone. It requires technique. It requires severe moderation.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I think you're on to something there, @Citizen B. And I agree.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

You put everything very well. This is a fantastic post that needs more attention.

Sometimes I get anxious and puff like a mad man. Gotta slow down, in everything
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Nice insight and very true . Spazzing out is just that .... dont be a spazz , though I am guilting of spazzing sometimes , especially when doing stuff in motion . I think its probably one of the reason I smoke a regular black cavendish at work pretty often ., or a blend majority black cavendish ... they just dont get hot unless you go way out in outter space spazz mode

The only time moderation isn't for me is in the amount of bowls a day , lol ... the more , the more better
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Here I was thinking this thread was about JP.
God and Texas!
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Haha!^
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering