McClelland's 2020 matured cake replacement

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

HSigurdsson wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:19 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:59 pm Well , this is a sore subject , isnt it . Those McClelland give ups bastids ... I swear . They did something to their Virginia that accentuated that " ketchup " type thing thatvas can have , especially red va . Wessex makes a Red Virginia flake and it has that Ketchup thing going on but I think in its natural state , meaning I dont think they do anything to it to accentuate that flavor like McClelland did ... I think it was in their process that boosted that . I had a discussion with someone years ago and tats what was mentioned to me and I couldnt tell you what it was
Anyway ,Wessex red Virginia flake has a very mild " ketchupy " McClellandish thing .. but dont hold your breath waiting for it to be in stock , sadly . The other is Sutliff Red Virginia crumble Kake .... I mention it because it has that red va thing but even less than the Wessex . Its quite good on its own and is usually in stock somewhere and pretty reasonable in price too . Its at least one to try
Sadly , McClelland did something in their process that gave them their signature taste that no one else wants to do for some reason

I use to hate the ketchup until I tried their Tawny Flake . That blend did it right and I came around and it wasnt too long after that , like a year , that they decided to give up without selling off ... apparently because no one would spend teh time making theor blends the same , so they said , which if you know me .. I think is bullshit but thats just my opinion
Yes sir.
Occasionally Ill find a tin of some sort of Virginia blend that has a whisp of the McClelland "ketchup" flavor. Then ill buy it again, and it doesn't taste the same.
One was a Sutliff blend but I don't remember what it was called. :(
I have a bunch of C&D Red VA around here, Im gonna mess around with different things to see if I can mimic the flavor.......probably not.
I do know that Mike McNeil told me years ago that the "ketchup" is more of a process thing than an added component thing. Thats as much as he would tell me.....him and Mary were very tight lipped......im pretty sure their own family doesn't know the secret.
I was told something was added during the process to boost that ketchup vinegar thing . I dont think it was nefarious , lol , but who knows :lol:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
pipedrum22
Member in Good Standing

Ruffinogold wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:59 pm Well , this is a sore subject , isnt it . Those McClelland give ups bastids ... I swear . They did something to their Virginia that accentuated that " ketchup " type thing thatvas can have , especially red va . Wessex makes a Red Virginia flake and it has that Ketchup thing going on but I think in its natural state , meaning I dont think they do anything to it to accentuate that flavor like McClelland did ... I think it was in their process that boosted that . I had a discussion with someone years ago and tats what was mentioned to me and I couldnt tell you what it was
Anyway ,Wessex red Virginia flake has a very mild " ketchupy " McClellandish thing .. but dont hold your breath waiting for it to be in stock , sadly . The other is Sutliff Red Virginia crumble Kake .... I mention it because it has that red va thing but even less than the Wessex . Its quite good on its own and is usually in stock somewhere and pretty reasonable in price too . Its at least one to try
Sadly , McClelland did something in their process that gave them their signature taste that no one else wants to do for some reason

I use to hate the ketchup until I tried their Tawny Flake . That blend did it right and I came around and it wasnt too long after that , like a year , that they decided to give up without selling off ... apparently because no one would spend teh time making theor blends the same , so they said , which if you know me .. I think is bullshit but thats just my opinion
Can confirm here about the sutliff red Virginia cake. McClelland produced some of my favorite Virginias. The sutliff is very close to capturing the essence of those Virginias. Wish they sold it in bulk.
“The sea was angry that day my friends!”
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

pipedrum22 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:40 am

Can confirm here about the sutliff red Virginia cake. McClelland produced some of my favorite Virginias. The sutliff is very close to capturing the essence of those Virginias. Wish they sold it in bulk.
Yes , that would be really good :thumbs:

I wish Wessex were a bulk company
HSigurdsson

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:46 am

Yes sir.
Occasionally Ill find a tin of some sort of Virginia blend that has a whisp of the McClelland "ketchup" flavor. Then ill buy it again, and it doesn't taste the same.
I have a bunch of C&D Red VA around here, Im gonna mess around with different things to see if I can mimic the flavor.......probably not.
I do know that Mike McNeil told me years ago that the "ketchup" is more of a process thing than an added component thing. Thats as much as he would tell me.....him and Mary were very tight lipped......im pretty sure their own family doesn't know the secret.
I was told something was added during the process to boost that ketchup vinegar thing . I dont think it was nefarious , lol , but who knows :lol:
Oh im sure something was added.
But a lot of people believe they added a heavy topping to just run of the mill Red Virginia. But that flavor is in many red Virginia blends, just not as pronoused.
As mentioned, the Sutliff blend is close and a few from C&D, while not trying to imitate, has that ketchup taste.
Mike told me to my face that the flavor was MOSTLY from a "second" fermenting process and a heating process. Thats all I know, he was not very forthcoming.
They had considered selling the "secret" to Craig Tarler a few years before they went out of business but it never went through.
HSigurdsson

Ronv69 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:48 pm
HSigurdsson wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:13 pm
Citizen B wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:51 pm

This is very true. My first tin was McClelland Red Virginia. Sounds simple, right? It's not. There is nothing else like it. The same with the blend in the tin with the yellow label.
I have about 1 pound of 5100 "Red Cake" from 2012 in my cellar.
Unfortunately I put it in only two jars.
Thats just before I learned to use MUCH smaller jars!!
Now if I want to open one, Ill have a half pound opened.
Its not a huge deal but it will slow the aging process.
Now I use 4oz jars which give me 15-20 bowls worth.
I wish I learned this in 2012 when I jarred up about 10 pounds of McClelland into 16oz jars. :(
I bought a pound of all their VAs and Vapers they sold in bulk for long term aging.
Now im having trouble opening any of the remaining 12 or so jars.
I have smoked one jar from most of them, I only have 2 jars of the 5100......and maybe 2015.......ill have to look
Well, it's fully aged. So you should smoke it up ASAP. 😉
I know!!
Its all down hill from here.
I smoked some last year and it seriously tastes about the same as it did in 2012....from what I remember.
I do not have the most fantastic palate, I just like what I like.
But I had a LOT of aged tobaccos and in my opinion, McClelland changes the least.
The first time I had 10 year old McClelland VA I thought I was in for a REAL treat.
And it was great.....but pretty close to stuff I had just purchased.
The only reason its not gone is because I quit piping for 7 years.
The biggest shocker ive had was 10+ year old LNF from Peter Stokkebye.
It got much darker and the flavor now has a more fruity raisin thing going.
Its a far cry from stuff I put away in 2018.
I quit piping in 2017, then made a huge tobacco purchase in 2018 thinking I would start smoking again.....I did not start again until 2023.
HSigurdsson

Ronv69 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:41 pm
HSigurdsson wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:21 pm Many McClelland blends had their own flavor.
Many have tried to reproduce it, but none ive found are very close.
Maybe some day the recipe and process will be disclosed....I hope.
I cannot remember the 2020 but if it had Virginia tobacco, look for deep, dark Red Virginia blends and add some Latakia to them maybe.
One reason why the McClelland's blends haven't been reproduced is one of the reasons they closed. The quality tobacco just isn't available in large quantities.
Yep, there is more money in growing cigar tobacco and really cheap tobacco for cigarettes and chewing tobacco.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

HSigurdsson wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:29 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:46 am
Yes sir.
Oh im sure something was added.
But a lot of people believe they added a heavy topping to just run of the mill Red Virginia. But that flavor is in many red Virginia blends, just not as pronoused.
As mentioned, the Sutliff blend is close and a few from C&D, while not trying to imitate, has that ketchup taste.
Mike told me to my face that the flavor was MOSTLY from a "second" fermenting process and a heating process. Thats all I know, he was not very forthcoming.
They had considered selling the "secret" to Craig Tarler a few years before they went out of business but it never went through.
Everyone is kinda hush about their process and I dont blame them . McClelland was really the stand out American producer . I miss buying their stuff
Ronv69
Founding Member

Well, duh! 😁
God and Texas!
Ronv69
Founding Member

HSigurdsson wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:41 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:48 pm
HSigurdsson wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:13 pm
I have about 1 pound of 5100 "Red Cake" from 2012 in my cellar.
Unfortunately I put it in only two jars.
Thats just before I learned to use MUCH smaller jars!!
Now if I want to open one, Ill have a half pound opened.
Its not a huge deal but it will slow the aging process.
Now I use 4oz jars which give me 15-20 bowls worth.
I wish I learned this in 2012 when I jarred up about 10 pounds of McClelland into 16oz jars. :(
I bought a pound of all their VAs and Vapers they sold in bulk for long term aging.
Now im having trouble opening any of the remaining 12 or so jars.
I have smoked one jar from most of them, I only have 2 jars of the 5100......and maybe 2015.......ill have to look
Well, it's fully aged. So you should smoke it up ASAP. 😉
I know!!
Its all down hill from here.
I smoked some last year and it seriously tastes about the same as it did in 2012....from what I remember.
I do not have the most fantastic palate, I just like what I like.
But I had a LOT of aged tobaccos and in my opinion, McClelland changes the least.
The first time I had 10 year old McClelland VA I thought I was in for a REAL treat.
And it was great.....but pretty close to stuff I had just purchased.
The only reason its not gone is because I quit piping for 7 years.
The biggest shocker ive had was 10+ year old LNF from Peter Stokkebye.
It got much darker and the flavor now has a more fruity raisin thing going.
Its a far cry from stuff I put away in 2018.
I quit piping in 2017, then made a huge tobacco purchase in 2018 thinking I would start smoking again.....I did not start again until 2023.
If you don't want to smoke it! You could sell it and buy a nice motorcycle.
God and Texas!
Tenthgate

Thanks for all replies all, i guess i will need to discover some new things.

Actually you know, this 2020 i had was jarred and the ketchup smell had almost dissipated, but it's about the type of virginia in it + the way the orientals are presented, really wild and tasty. Like the room note is woodsie as well but the flavour was sweet like a tasty spice cake. No idea how they made latakia do that and i haven't seen it since.

Ah well i will keep a look out for some red viriginias, surely :)