Think that pipe has gone out? Think again!

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I grew up around a lot of pipe smokers when I was growing up. Probably my favorite guy was Uncle Jim. He was my great uncle, my mother‘s uncle. Jim was a pipe smoker for a long time he was born in 1906 and started smoking when he was 11.

I learned a lot about pipe smoking by watching Jim. One thing I noticed was that when when his pipe looked like it went out on him it really hadn’t. He had a trick to bring it back to life if there was any hope of saving a match!

He would puff on it and not get any smoke. He would then put two fingers over the chamber and puff. Miraculously, the pipe would start smoking and come to life yet again! It’s really a simple technique to use and I don’t know if you thought about it, but I just picked it up watching him.

If you haven’t tried it, give it a try It might work for you. It does for me! Remember, two fingers over the chamber puff on it a few times and if there is any spark available, it’ll pick it up, I gar-on-tee!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Silver
Certified Codger

Yup. Works for me, too.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Yep - good tip...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I use this method daily.
The Troll Whisperer
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Great story! And a wonderful tip for Pipe Smokers.
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I call it combustion . I was told once its called something else Ive never heard of , to the point that i cant remember what the hell the word was . If there's a shred of life in the bowl , combustion can make it fire up if theres a chance at all . Uncle Jim knew what he was doing :thumbs:
My grandfather on my dads side was a wicked pipe smoker . It was the first time I ever saw someone smoke a billiard upside down in the rain and I thought that was bad ass and Ive been doing that ever since . I think Norman Rockwell did a portrait smoking a pipe upside down too [ ? ] Grandpa knew how to rip through a pound bag of black cavendish .. he was an animal
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Great story, great idea. It works!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:13 pm I call it combustion . I was told once its called something else Ive never heard of , to the point that i cant remember what the hell the word was . If there's a shred of life in the bowl , combustion can make it fire up if theres a chance at all . Uncle Jim knew what he was doing :thumbs:
My grandfather on my dads side was a wicked pipe smoker . It was the first time I ever saw someone smoke a billiard upside down in the rain and I thought that was bad ass and Ive been doing that ever since . I think Norman Rockwell did a portrait smoking a pipe upside down too [ ? ] Grandpa knew how to rip through a pound bag of black cavendish .. he was an animal
Fishing in the rain with my father, I witnessed the upside down pipe in action too.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Fr_Tom wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:15 am
Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:13 pm I call it combustion . I was told once its called something else Ive never heard of , to the point that i cant remember what the hell the word was . If there's a shred of life in the bowl , combustion can make it fire up if theres a chance at all . Uncle Jim knew what he was doing :thumbs:
Fishing in the rain with my father, I witnessed the upside down pipe in action too.
So for the upside down pipe, what is the technique when packing so it all doesn’t fall out. Because I tell ya, cube cut doesnt work!
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
HSigurdsson

I usually do this at LEAST once every time I smoke a pipe while doing something else.....which isn't very often.