Whole leaf tobacco

Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

I started de-stemming the burley, I had to bring it into lower case to unfold and take the stem out. I am going to split into fourths and try casings to make some blends. I’ll do the Maryland next and then the Virginia.

Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Plinsc wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:02 pm I started de-stemming the burley, I had to bring it into lower case to unfold and take the stem out. I am going to split into fourths and try casings to make some blends. I’ll do the Maryland next and then the Virginia.

I'll be following your progress with interest!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

MikeDennison wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:49 pm
Plinsc wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:02 pm I started de-stemming the burley, I had to bring it into lower case to unfold and take the stem out. I am going to split into fourths and try casings to make some blends. I’ll do the Maryland next and then the Virginia.

I'll be following your progress with interest!
Me too!
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

I am looking forward to following. Please try and post as much as you can.

If your open to a trade, if you can shred some of the whole leaf you have and leave it uncased and natural, i’d like to try smoking them. Once I get settled into the new place, i’ll let you know. We can trade pipes, tobacco, whatever works. I’ve always wanted to try this but haven’t went down the rabbit hole yet.
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

My digital scale quit digital scaling so I’ll grab a new one and start putting a blend together then. I’ll start on the Maryland 609 de-stemming next.
I want to make Cavendish out both Burley and Maryland to see if there’s a difference in taste.
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

I am getting the directions on how to from FTT for full disclosure, Deluxe Stogie has amassed quite a collection of knowledge there.
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Picking up the scale today!
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Picking up the scale today! The picture above shows what the leaf looks like out of the bag and then spreading it out with the help of a little water, the leaf I got from Whole Leaf Tobacco seemed a better quality than this from Leaf Only. The taste is all that matters I guess since it gets shredded for pipe tobacco. I do like that leafonly sells in 1/4 lb to try a variety though.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Plinsc wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:58 am Picking up the scale today! The picture above shows what the leaf looks like out of the bag and then spreading it out with the help of a little water, the leaf I got from Whole Leaf Tobacco seemed a better quality than this from Leaf Only. The taste is all that matters I guess since it gets shredded for pipe tobacco. I do like that leafonly sells in 1/4 lb to try a variety though.
Do you have a shredder?
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

No just a knife!