Smoking Jacket

John

Looking for some ideas of modern day smoking jackets. One that I wouldn't be afraid to wear out in town. Satin and velvet, although cool, might get me weird looks. The purpose would be to prevent my clothes from absorbing the smoke and keeping the wife happy. Lots of pockets would be nice too. Thank you!
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Something leather. Leather and Tobacco just go well together smell wise.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
John

houtenziel wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:05 pm Something leather. Leather and Tobacco just go well together smell wise.
True. I have a leather jacket, but it doesn't have many pockets. It's a bit heavy too for this warm weather out here.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

You could always have a bathrobe you put on over your clothes - not many pockets though...

You also might get some strange looks if you wore it out in town.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
John

Fr_Tom wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:14 pm You could always have a bathrobe you put on over your clothes - not many pockets though...

Or just maybe start a new fashion trend.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

John wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:21 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:14 pm You could always have a bathrobe you put on over your clothes - not many pockets though...

Or just maybe start a new fashion trend.
True that - you would fit in at Walmart with that now. I see people in pajamas and slippers there all the time.

I went there on Halloween to pick up some groceries for a family, and the employees and customers were all in costume. It was pretty weird.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
xrundog

That's pretty upscale! I generally wear old worn out stuff to smoke. The pipe especially is responsible for many a burn hole. I guess I am not a neat pipe smoker. Cigars Just leave a nice funk on everything.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

A wind breaker over top of your normal outerwear might work well for you. They are pretty resistant to picking up odors. They are light enough to accommodate whatever the weather might be.

Up here in Oregon it's been in the high 30's in the mornings when I go out on the patio to have a pipe(I exclusively smoke outside), and so I pretty much just wear whatever will keep me warm. If I smell like a campfire, I guess that is how it has to be. Stinking will just have to be part of my manly essence I guess.. :mrgreen:
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
John

houtenziel wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:50 pm Stinking will just have to be part of my manly essence I guess.. :mrgreen:
I tell the wife, "This is what gentlemen smell like." I have a Dickies wind breaker that works well, just wish it had more storage.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

John wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:55 pm ... just wish it had more storage.
Get you one of these to go over it. It's even got loops over the chest for 5 pipes!
― Theodore Roosevelt