Today’s harvest (Not for weenies)

Wildcrow
Founding Member

Riff89 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:16 pm So I haven’t had the good fortune of harvesting Bambi’s dad yet but I had a super close encounter with two young bull moose last weekend while deer hunting. I had 2 bulls come out at 100 yards or so and start sparring with each other, they disappeared into the whips (clearcut that’s growing back) the next thing I know they were charging straight at me grunting they stopped about 20-30 feet from me and hung out for a few minutes staring at me trying to figure out what I was.
Woooooo, Ill bet your heart was thumping something fierce.
Riff89

Wildcrow wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:13 am
Riff89 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:16 pm So I haven’t had the good fortune of harvesting Bambi’s dad yet but I had a super close encounter with two young bull moose last weekend while deer hunting. I had 2 bulls come out at 100 yards or so and start sparring with each other, they disappeared into the whips (clearcut that’s growing back) the next thing I know they were charging straight at me grunting they stopped about 20-30 feet from me and hung out for a few minutes staring at me trying to figure out what I was.
Woooooo, Ill bet your heart was thumping something fierce.
It was! I clicked the safety off on my rifle I don’t usually get nervous but moose are very unpredictable.
Riff89

ImageImage

I harvested this guy this morning while out deer hunting. Not what I was after but they wreak havoc on our already small deer heard in the winter.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Riff89 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:20 am ImageImage

I harvested this guy this morning while out deer hunting. Not what I was after but they wreak havoc on our already small deer heard in the winter.
Well done! We have a "you see'em you shoot'em' law here in NJ as well..
The Troll Whisperer
Riff89

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:38 am

I hate killing something I won’t eat but I make an exception when it eats what I’m trying to kill and eat. We have so many coyotes down behind my house that it sounds like a dog pound at night. I’m glad my dogs are in a fenced in yard.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Riff89 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:38 pm

I hate killing something I won’t eat but I make an exception when it eats what I’m trying to kill and eat. We have so many coyotes down behind my house that it sounds like a dog pound at night. I’m glad my dogs are in a fenced in yard.
Predator animals are the exception especially if you live on or near a farm. I wouldn't think twice knowing they are near my dogs like that.
The Troll Whisperer
Riff89

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:56 pm

Predator animals are the exception especially if you live on or near a farm. I wouldn't think twice knowing they are near my dogs like that.
It certainly didn’t break my heart lol.
Riff89

Currently 23 degrees praying for a buck to come through so I can warm my hands up lol.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Riff89 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:07 am Image

Currently 23 degrees praying for a buck to come through so I can warm my hands up lol.
:lol:
The Troll Whisperer
ncrobb
Founding Member

Riff89 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:05 am
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:56 pm
It certainly didn’t break my heart lol.

Yep, we shoot coyotes on sight here on the NC farm as well. My dad always just left them laying where they fell as a sign to the rest of the pack to move on.

Good luck in the woods, Riff.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett