Today’s harvest (Not for weenies)

Wildcrow
Founding Member

The terror of my farm. I’m having her stuffed instead of eating her... which makes me feel kind of bad. She has taken several hundreds of dollars worth of ducks from me during broad daylight. She also fought my lab once when he cornered her.

#1) Good riddance
#2) Bobcat season ends next week
#3) I get to have a museum quality “live mount” in my office
#4) My animals can go about their business

When our primary source of food is our family farm, we take very serious the threat of predatory loss. I hate to know her meat will not be eaten, but I do not think I can pass this opportunity for a stuffed bobcat prowling from atop my pipe case. I’m going to ask the taxidermist if he can salvage the meat, but I’m sure the answer will be a resounding no, likely due to licensing restrictions or whatever. I hear I’m not missing out on much by way of flavor. Kinda “porky” my Trapper friends tell me.
Wildcrow
Founding Member

She’s a big girl.
racinghoss

She'll look awesome on your pipe case. Like you, I hate to kill something I don't plan to eat. I understand and agree with your exception in this case though. I've eaten bobcat and liked it.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Eating a bobcat? No thanks. It got what it had coming!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I don't think I am eating bobcat either. Maybe it would depend on how hungry I was.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

It's a farmers right and duty to protect his crops and livestock. But yeah... I suspect it would be pretty poor eatin'!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:36 am I don't think I am eating bobcat either. Maybe it would depend on how hungry I was.
I guess you're right.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
ncrobb
Founding Member

Good job @Wildcrow. I’ve had raccoon, opossum, goat, rabbit, squirrel and groundhog. Never thought to try bobcat.

In reference to your tag line: squirrel dumplings. My grandmother used to make them and they were delicious.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Cappadoc

Beautiful animal.
Should be a cool mount.
I agree that one shouldn’t kill non-food animals for sport, but this is a case of protecting your food/property which makes,it OK in my book. Sad, but OK.
Wildcrow
Founding Member

Thanks guys. I’d eat a Bobcat in a heartbeat, or maybe two heartbeats.