Ronson Pipe Lighter

simplepipes
Codger in Training

I have a grave yard box of pipe lighters including Corona, Dunhill, Old Boy, Sarome . . .

Have spent more on repairs over the years than the lighters originally cost.

No more high priced fire for me . . . very pleased with Clippers.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

simplepipes wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:41 pm I have a grave yard box of pipe lighters including Corona, Dunhill, Old Boy, Sarome . . .

-sp
It seems these can be refilled, and you can change the flints as well. Do they take a standard (Zippo/Ronson) flint? As close as I can tell the flame is not adjustable, but it looks like a good design.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
simplepipes
Codger in Training

Fr_Tom wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:02 am
simplepipes wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:41 pm I have a grave yard box of pipe lighters including Corona, Dunhill, Old Boy, Sarome . . .

-sp
It seems these can be refilled, and you can change the flints as well. Do they take a standard (Zippo/Ronson) flint? As close as I can tell the flame is not adjustable, but it looks like a good design.
They are refillable and use standard flints. They are not adjustable although the flame increases in size when inverted.

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I haven't seen these available here in the US, but they do make an angled flame Clipper specifically for pipes:
https://www.gqtobaccos.com/accessories/ ... led-flame/
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
simplepipes
Codger in Training

-sp
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I also have a clipper with a brushed stainless looking body and the flame is adjustable on that one
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
SteveNH

I have the Ronson from Wally World. Mine works perfect, better than the $50ish lighters IMHO.
oldbill
Member in Good Standing

Fr_Tom wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:28 am I was at Wal-Mart yesterday and saw a pipe(!) lighter in the racks with the beef jerky and M&M's and Bic lighters. It was a Ronson and was $7.95. It has a few pipe tools built in. I bought it.

Here is a short review.

The tools are too small to be of much realistic use.
The lighter is heavier than you might expect.
The flame is only barely long enough to be functional and light reliably with the adjustment at the max.
After about 5 uses, the flame was too short to even burn.

I bled the lighter and recharged it with butane.
The flame was really low, but it would light. I never managed to keep it lit long enough to light a pipe.
After lighting it about 5 times, it would not light any more.

I took it back to Wal-Mart and got a refund. They were very nice about it, and there was no line.

My counsel is to avoid these lighters. If you are going to get one, get it at Wal-Mart or someplace similar where they are easy to return.
Thanks Padre, I'm usually a sucker for such gadgets and you may have just saved me some trouble. :D
... and you can put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
avid

ronson fluid in a zippo
insufferable filter guy
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I've had good luck with the Ronson Ronie model , which is about the same as the clipper , which I've also had good luck with
I currently use my Zippo much of the time , along with a lighter im really digging ... a Scripto torch lighter . I've had it for all of Winter and have used it when doing exterior work , which has been half the time . I really like it alot .. It's been flawless with maybe a couple few misfired. . I forget where I bought it but if I see them again , I'll buy 5 . I think it cost 2 or 3 bucks .. if that

" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.