Ronson Pipe Lighter

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:04 pm Have not used anything but matches for years and only smoke outside. Have not had luck with lighters except Zippo but I taste fuel throught the bowl, and not faintly. Also why do people say you can't use matches outside? Seen that comment countless times but can't figure out why.
I've kinda wondered that myself. If it's windy, I can almost always get my pipe lit using these maneuvers.

In extremely windy weather I will go almost fully wrapped around the lit match like this:

Different strokes though. I have a Zippo that I used for a while, but the taste of napthalene is not my favorite. Also, it seems like tobacco just burns better with a match, especially for the first light. I can see why folks char the crap out of their rims with butane on a first light.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Sometimes the wind costs me an extra match or two but mostly it seems to help give it a little flicker, especially with these cheap matches I'm using right now. If the wind is sustained I pull up my hood and lean into a wall if available, works well enough for me.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:04 pm Have not used anything but matches for years and only smoke outside. Have not had luck with lighters except Zippo but I taste fuel throught the bowl, and not faintly. Also why do people say you can't use matches outside? Seen that comment countless times but can't figure out why.
I'm just not skilled enough to keep'em lit in a breeze. :oops:
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

houtenziel wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:30 pm
I've kinda wondered that myself. If it's windy, I can almost always get my pipe lit using these maneuvers.

In extremely windy weather I will go almost fully wrapped around the lit match like this:

Different strokes though. I have a Zippo that I used for a while, but the taste of napthalene is not my favorite. Also, it seems like tobacco just burns better with a match, especially for the first light. I can see why folks char the crap out of their rims with butane on a first light.
I may give this a try!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I use a cheapo 711 lighter or matches. I can't use zippos anymore because the fuel makes me nauseous. My wife bought me a really nice Old Boy that I used every day for about six years until I dropped it while climbing out of my truck and now the spray nozzle leaks so I don't use it.
The Troll Whisperer
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

MikeDennison wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:10 pm
I'm just not skilled enough to keep'em lit in a breeze. :oops:
You're just not giving them a fair shake in the breeze, face away from the wind, lean into any walls or nooks, use your hands, give it a shot. I have confidence in you.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:36 pm I use a cheapo 711 lighter or matches. I can't use zippos anymore because the fuel makes me nauseous. My wife bought me a really nice Old Boy that I used every day for about six years until I dropped it while climbing out of my truck and now the spray nozzle leaks so I don't use it.
If you ever want to get it fixed up
https://lighterrepairs.com
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:09 pm
Bruyere_Royale wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:36 pm I use a cheapo 711 lighter or matches. I can't use zippos anymore because the fuel makes me nauseous. My wife bought me a really nice Old Boy that I used every day for about six years until I dropped it while climbing out of my truck and now the spray nozzle leaks so I don't use it.
Thanks for the link but, at this point it just sits on the shelf with the rest of the out of service lighters.
The Troll Whisperer
Mrm1775

houtenziel wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:30 pm

I’m impressed to see strike anywhere matches. I can’t hardly find em.
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:14 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:09 pm
Thanks for the link but, at this point it just sits on the shelf with the rest of the out of service lighters.
A shelf! Of course, I just throw mine in a drawer and forget about them.