What's Going on With the Gawith Hoggarth & Co?

User avatar
Lord Guyrox
Junior Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:52 am
Location: Canada

Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:48 pm

Anyone knows why there is this generalized shortage with this brand? Ennerdale, Rum and Best Brown # 2 are favorites of mine.
I have never seen this happening to such an extent and for so long.
This post by Lord Guyrox liked by (total 7):
Kevin KeithMikeDennisonIslayphileThelonious monkfishBruyere_RoyaleMaynardFr_Tom
User avatar
houtenziel
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Oregon

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:42 pm

Keeping in mind that the internet is an extremely unreliable source of info - I've read A couple difference places that they apparently had some sort of production issue(perhaps ongoing?). I've also read that the stateside distributors haven't been making their orders on time, and they don't keep much of a backstock of pre-packaged tobacco so it's setting things back even further, since they have to basically produce to order. Then even further, they have apparently changed all their labeling.
I am not sure which one of these is true, or perhaps all of them are a contributing factor. I've been tempted to just send them an e-mail and get it straight from the horse's mouth.
This post by houtenziel liked by (total 7):
Kevin KeithMikeDennisonIslayphileThelonious monkfishBruyere_RoyaleMaynardFr_Tom
User avatar
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah
Posts: 1725
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:59 pm
Location: San Benito

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:51 pm

I was gonna say that the hype caught up with and then passed supply, but H's answer is good too.
This post by Kevin Keith liked by (total 6):
houtenzielMikeDennisonIslayphileThelonious monkfishMaynardFr_Tom
User avatar
houtenziel
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Oregon

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:56 pm

Kevin Keith wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:51 pm
I was gonna say that the hype caught up with and then passed supply, but H's answer is good too.
This, to me, is probably the most plausible answer.
This post by houtenziel liked by (total 6):
MikeDennisonIslayphileThelonious monkfishBruyere_RoyaleMaynardFr_Tom
User avatar
Thelonious monkfish
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 2:39 pm

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:38 pm

Don't believe the hype!
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 6):
IslayphileKevin KeithBruyere_RoyaleMikeDennisonMaynardFr_Tom
User avatar
Islayphile
Active Member
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:21 pm

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:45 pm

The same sort of thing happened with Esoterica and Germain.

Penzance and Special Latakia Flake were both highly praised and before you knew it, all blends in their lineups were sold out and are perpetually out of stock.
This post by Islayphile liked by (total 4):
Thelonious monkfishBruyere_RoyaleMikeDennisonFr_Tom
User avatar
Thelonious monkfish
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 2:39 pm

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:49 pm

Islayphile wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:45 pm
The same sort of thing happened with Esoterica and Germain.

Penzance and Special Latakia Flake were both highly praised and before you knew it, all blends in their lineups were sold out and are perpetually out of stock.
Unfortunately the fact is that this is a far better fate than the alternative. Remember not even a year ago when McClelland and Dunhill were on top? Hedge your bets.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 3):
IslayphileMikeDennisonFr_Tom
User avatar
houtenziel
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm
Location: Oregon

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:54 pm

I need to grow out a thin shaggy lookin' beard, get some hipster clothes like the kids do these days. I could start a Youtube channel called "Contemplative Piper" where I speak without contractions, and gush over blends I actually hate as being complex and nuanced, with synergistic incense qualities.
This post by houtenziel liked by (total 7):
Thelonious monkfishIslayphileBruyere_RoyaleMikeDennisonMaynardFr_TomKDFVA
User avatar
Islayphile
Active Member
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:21 pm

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm

Thelonious monkfish wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:49 pm
Islayphile wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:45 pm
The same sort of thing happened with Esoterica and Germain.

Penzance and Special Latakia Flake were both highly praised and before you knew it, all blends in their lineups were sold out and are perpetually out of stock.
Unfortunately the fact is that this is a far better fate than the alternative. Remember not even a year ago when McClelland and Dunhill were on top? Hedge your bets.
Yes, sadly you are correct.
This post by Islayphile liked by (total 4):
Thelonious monkfishBruyere_RoyaleMikeDennisonFr_Tom
User avatar
Thelonious monkfish
Member in Good Standing
Posts: 733
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 2:39 pm

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:04 pm

houtenziel wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:54 pm
I need to grow out a thin shaggy lookin' beard, get some hipster clothes like the kids do these days. I could start a Youtube channel called "Contemplative Piper" where I speak without contractions, and gush over blends I actually hate as being complex and nuanced, with synergistic incense qualities.
This is a thing? I don't youtube/myspace/whatever so I'm out of the loop. Maybe I'll start one, but in real life I speak mostly with contractions and don't use pronouns other than to initiate a change in subject. Also I don't show up on film.
This post by Thelonious monkfish liked by (total 4):
Bruyere_RoyaleMikeDennisonMaynardFr_Tom
Post Reply