First try with tobacco press

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Sat May 25, 2019 2:34 pm

houtenziel wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 1:51 pm
Surlywill wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 1:24 pm
The c clamp put enough pressure on the pucks to leave marks. Keeping everything straight was the toughest part. Had to use the handle of a sledgehammer to release the pucks. Tried the cake this morning and am very happy with results. Just need to figure how to add a more pronounced rum flavor.
The reason why you probably aren't getting the rum as much is that it probably mostly boiled off in your heating process. Try using the "Beardsley Method", where you leave the loose tobacco in a airtight container with a shotglass full of whatever rum you are using. You can also case directly with rum, but I've been told that too much can tend to increase bite.
Can't take credit for that method but it does work. That weird mix of LTF / burley / Turkish does have a cool little bourbon vibe. Not strong but just enough to give a little essence here & there in the smoke. The Bastard and the VaBur that you got samples of both got a very (and I mean very) light spritzing of rum directly on the leaf. There's a lot to the "less is more" mindset when it comes to flavoring
This is my unique signature
Surlywill

Sat May 25, 2019 7:01 pm

houtenziel wrote:
Surlywill wrote:
The c clamp put enough pressure on the pucks to leave marks. Keeping everything straight was the toughest part. Had to use the handle of a sledgehammer to release the pucks. Tried the cake this morning and am very : :happy with results. Just need to figure how to add a more pronounced rum flavor.
The reason why you probably aren't getting the rum as much is that it probably mostly boiled off in your heating process. Try using the "Beardsley Method", where you leave the loose tobacco in a airtight container with a shotglass full of whatever rum you are using. You can also case directly with rum, but I've been told that too much can tend to increase bite.
That’s what I’m looking for. I have some 1Q and Virginia. I think I’ll put it In a container with a couple of shot glasses of rum.
:D
This post by Surlywill liked by:
houtenziel
“ If A is a success in life, then A=X+Y+Z. Work is X; Y is play; and Z is keeping your mouth shut.”
- Albert Einstein
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Sat May 25, 2019 7:19 pm

Surlywill wrote:
houtenziel wrote:
Surlywill wrote:
The c clamp put enough pressure on the pucks to leave marks. Keeping everything straight was the toughest part. Had to use the handle of a sledgehammer to release the pucks. Tried the cake this morning and am very : :happy with results. Just need to figure how to add a more pronounced rum flavor.
That’s what I’m looking for. I have some 1Q and Virginia. I think I’ll put it In a container with a couple of shot glasses of rum.
Let them hang out together for 2 or 3 weeks in a dark place. Every week take the container out, remove the shot glasses of rum, stir up the tobacco. It will take on the essence of rum nicely. If you're brave you can throw back the shots of rum after everything has been hanging out and you're ready to press it & It will also have the essence of the tobacco (I speak from experience lol)
This is my unique signature
Surlywill

Sat May 25, 2019 9:54 pm

Mr Beardsley wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 7:19 pm
Surlywill wrote:
houtenziel wrote:
Let them hang out together for 2 or 3 weeks in a dark place. Every week take the container out, remove the shot glasses of rum, stir up the tobacco. It will take on the essence of rum nicely. If you're brave you can throw back the shots of rum after everything has been hanging out and you're ready to press it & It will also have the essence of the tobacco (I speak from experience lol)
That’s genius! Sounds like a plan. :clap:
This post by Surlywill liked by:
Mr Beardsley
“ If A is a success in life, then A=X+Y+Z. Work is X; Y is play; and Z is keeping your mouth shut.”
- Albert Einstein