McClelland Grey Havens...

GatorGirl

As most of us are lamenting over the loss of McClelland tobacco being gone forever, one of my favorites was Grey Havens. I have a scant bit left and wondered if anyone knows of an alternative to try.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I haven't heard of a match or anything. I'm sure someone will have some ideas though. It's good to see you here!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
GatorGirl

Thanks Kevin. Good to be back! I have missed everyone!
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

In a VaBurPer, I think Three Friars is pretty good. I have not tried Grey Havens though so I can't really speak to similarities.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

McClelland really had their own take on virginias , which was awesome and sadly difficult to match , imho .
Mcclellands seemed to have a number their Virginia blends that we're Ketchupy and some that werent at all
I wasn't a grey havens smoker , but if it was one of the Ketchupy ones ... the only one I've had similar to those type mcClelands virgina is Wessex Red Virginia , which unfortunately isn't easy to find anymore
Rattrays has one that I thought was similar but I can't remember which it was

I have some tins of McClellands Tawny Flake and #24 and I hope to make them last
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
GatorGirl

Not ketchupy at all.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I've never smoked gray havens (and since McC has started to disagree with my tongue I never will) but taking a quick glance at the reviews on it a lot of people mention sweet / honey / fruity type flavor from it. First blend I'd take a stab at (not as a match but as something that will scratch the same itch) would be Reiner long golden flake. Similar component list with a citrusy honey topping. Not super wallet friendly, but won't cost anywhere near McC money
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
GatorGirl

Thanks Mr.Beardsley. I’ll give it a shot
CoreyR
Founding Member

Grey Havens was a taste all of it's own. I have found nothing to match it or even come close and I like to think I have been through a bit of tobacco. Of course, the same can really be said for most of the really good McC's. They were quite unique.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Good advice from [mention]Mr Beardsley[/mention] , in that Reneir flake is one to try for sure whether or not it's similar , its very good :thumbs:

Was Grey Havens a typical McClellands thick cut Virginia?
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.