Licorice Blends

Houtenziel
Codger in Training

sisyphus wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:10 pm difference between anise and licorice: anise tastes like good n plenty candy. It's probably what most Americans associate with what licorice tastes like. Licorice is much darker, murkier, slightly vegetal, and pairs really well with tobacco. It's a common additive to Swedish snus.

Try salmiak sometime. It's one of Northern Europe's favorite candy classics. Salted black licorice, and boy you had better like real black licorice. I think it's great.
Just be aware that most traditional salmiak candies have a buttload of ammonium chloride in them, which can give the licorice a distinct cat piss like vibe to the uninitiated. I come from an extremely Dutch family, and this candy is referred to as Zoute Drop. The dreaded Dubbel Zoute has struck fear into the hearts of children in my family for a long time.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:28 pm I can't tell the difference between anise and licorice very well either. Snag a pack of Avanti anisette cigars King. Those things have enough anise / licorice flavor to alter your tasters for a half day
I second this.. These babies are delish!
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

Check out my new black liquorice pipe WH.. After you puff on this for a bit.. You can eat the whole damn pipe! And I never have re-lighting issues with this bad boy!
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

PS Sambuca is good! Peterson Irish Flake has a little liquorice flavor, Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake has a nice aniseness to it as well.

Enjoy!
unregistered1

Esoterica Blackpool
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky
Amphora Black Cavendish
Mac Baren Black Ambrosia
War Horse Green (anisette, but it is almost the same thing)
Borkum Riff Licorice
HU Red Sparkle (not sure it is still being made, though).
'Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.' :D
Frank Zappa
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Lord Guyrox wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:02 am Esoterica Blackpool
Amphora Black Cavendish
Mac Baren Black Ambrosia
Borkum Riff Licorice
Dark strong Kentucky? Never noticed any .

Black Ambrosia ... probably/ maybe . Hell , the flavoring in that seems to be after a marshmallow fruit thing

So , are we talking added flavoring or something in the flavor that resembles licorice , kinda like wine . When a wine taste test it's done and they say ... It's has plum , clay and cherry etc ... or Virginia tobaccos when folks say it has hay , grass and lemon
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:16 am
Amphora Black Cavendish
Mac Baren Black Ambrosia
Borkum Riff Licorice

Black Ambrosia ... probably/ maybe . Hell , the flavoring in that seems to be after a marshmallow fruit thing

So , are we talking added flavoring or something in the flavor that resembles licorice , kinda like wine . When a wine taste test it's done and they say ... It's has plum , clay and cherry etc ... or Virginia tobaccos when folks say it has hay , grass and lemon
I personally would prefer to stick to actual reality, where you know, things actually taste like what they say vs. imaginary cork sniffer fantasy land. :lol:
The average person should be able to take a puff and say.. wow, that tastes like anise/licorice.

Edit.. Not trying to say that what Lord Guyrox posted is not valid, as I haven't had a few of those blends.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

houtenziel wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:40 am
Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:16 am
Amphora Black Cavendish
Mac Baren Black Ambrosia
Borkum Riff Licorice

I personally would prefer to stick to actual reality, where you know, things actually taste like what they say vs. imaginary cork sniffer fantasy land. :lol:
The average person should be able to take a puff and say.. wow, that tastes like anise/licorice.

Edit.. Not trying to say that what Lord Guyrox posted is not valid, as I haven't had a few of those blends.
I hear ya . For all I know, there's a bunch of blends with it added . I suck at figuring flavoring , I do and I always have . If it doesnt say it on the package or tin , I'm usually off . Some are easy and many are tricky . [mention]Lord Guyrox[/mention] is totally valid . I'm just trying to figure if something is added or naturally comes out in the flavor . I may smoke a bowl of dark strong flake later today , it may very well have a slight top note . I used to smokje it often enough and when it started to get popular a while back , it was tougher to find so I kept what I had left and switched to something else . It's available these days for the most part and is axn exceptional blend
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I taste Anise in Solani ABF, but I've not heard a lot of folks mention it. I think it's probably one of the most popular casing additives for Burley, so I am sure that's why people seem to taste it in everything.
― Theodore Roosevelt
unregistered1

Gents, these are blends, to my knowledge, that have a licorice topping or casing.
'Tobacco is my favorite vegetable.' :D
Frank Zappa