Your Blend Recipes

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Got bored last night and since my friend's "Watergate" mix is so good I decided to mimic it somewhat and call it Pembrique

2oz Pembroke
10g perique

The plan is to leave it in the press for 5-7 days since I have some VA and burley making nice in a container with a shot of bourbon in the center
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I think Houtencake is good enough that I will probably keep making it(beginner's luck :) ). Pretty simple, only very lightly sweet burley blend that's cheap to make, and smokes easy. Here's the full recipe.

2 Parts Lane White Burley
1 Part Lane Virginia

Casing recipe:
(Makes a Pint - you can reduce for smaller quantity).

2 Cups Water
2 Cups White Granulated Cane Sugar
1 1/2 TSP Molasses
1 1/2 TSP White Vinegar

Simmer all ingredients for at least 10 minutes to ensure they are fully dissolved - also gives time to allow the sugar to invert to prevent re-crystalization.

Mist tobacco with distilled water and heat it up, but not too hot to touch. I feel weird about microwaving tobacco, so I heated mine in a colander held up above pot of boiling water. Don't set the colander on the top of the pot or you will get soggy fast. Just hold it 6" or so above the pot and mix by hand until it's hot.
Spray 1 oz of casing per pound of tobacco mix(or ~1.8ml per oz of tobacco if you are doing small test batches). Mix by hand while you are spraying to make sure it's even.

If you are going to press it, heat again, and load your press while hot. Press for 24 hours. If no press, you should probably allow the tobacco to rest for at least 24 hours. Smoke.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

houtenziel wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:56 pm I think Houtencake is good enough that I will probably keep making it(beginner's luck :) ). Pretty simple, only very lightly sweet burley blend that's cheap to make, and smokes easy. Here's the full recipe.

1 Part Lane Virginia

Casing recipe:

2 Cups Water
1 1/2 TSP Molasses
1 1/2 TSP White Vinegar

Simmer all ingredients for at least 10 minutes to ensure they are fully dissolved - also gives time to allow the sugar to invert to prevent re-crystalization.

Mist tobacco with distilled water and heat it up, but not too hot to touch. I feel weird about microwaving tobacco, so I heated mine in a colander held up above pot of boiling water. Don't set the colander on the top of the pot or you will get soggy fast. Just hold it 6" or so above the pot and mix by hand until it's hot.
Spray 1 oz of casing per pound of tobacco mix(or ~1.8ml per oz of tobacco if you are doing small test batches). Mix by hand while you are spraying to make sure it's even.

If you are going to press it, heat again, and load your press while hot. Press for 24 hours. If no press, you should probably allow the tobacco to rest for at least 24 hours. Smoke.
I should also have said if you are going to heat it with a colander, you can probably omit the misting prior to heating. The steam gives the tobacco plenty of moisture.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

houtenziel wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:59 pm
houtenziel wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:56 pm I think Houtencake is good enough that I will probably keep making it(beginner's luck :) ). Pretty simple, only very lightly sweet burley blend that's cheap to make, and smokes easy. Here's the full recipe.

1 Part Lane Virginia

Casing recipe:

2 Cups Water
1 1/2 TSP Molasses
1 1/2 TSP White Vinegar

I should also have said if you are going to heat it with a colander, you can probably omit the misting prior to heating. The steam gives the tobacco plenty of moisture.
I'm going to have to try that recipe. Sounds absolutely fantastic.

You're 100% right about being able to skip the distilled water if you do the colander heating. Essentially that's how water is distilled
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Pembrique came out of the press today...
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:51 pm Pembrique came out of the press today...
Good grief! Looks like you could play hockey with that thing! :lol:
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

houtenziel wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:13 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:51 pm Pembrique came out of the press today...
Good grief! Looks like you could play hockey with that thing! :lol:
Probably could! I'd definitely recommend a mask :lol:
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Next one is already under the screw for a few days. It's a modified version of something I've seen the good father post in the past.

1.75oz C&D Winchester
0.65oz DFK
Splash of perique (5-6 grams-ish)

Warmed and screwed. No casings or any other trickery. Mainly because the company I ordered my gum Arabic from must be busy indulging in oregon's finest and couldn't get motivated to ship til this morning. Lol
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:04 pm Next one is already under the screw for a few days. It's a modified version of something I've seen the good father post in the past.

1.75oz C&D Winchester
0.65oz DFK

Warmed and screwed. No casings or any other trickery. Mainly because the company I ordered my gum Arabic from must be busy indulging in oregon's finest and couldn't get motivated to ship til this morning. Lol
That's what you get for trusting an Oregonian..
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

houtenziel wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:05 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:04 pm Next one is already under the screw for a few days. It's a modified version of something I've seen the good father post in the past.

1.75oz C&D Winchester
0.65oz DFK

That's what you get for trusting an Oregonian..
Right? An herb / organics shop in Oregon who basically states their shipping policy is "eh. In a day or two maybe". Your people...