Benchmark Straight Virginias

oubobcat

My favorite Virginia is Newminster No. 400 Superior Navy Flake
Big fan for Kramer's Father Dempsey
Peacock

Is Sam Gawith's Best Brown Flake the same as GAWITH HOGGARTH'S & CO. BEST BROWN FLAKE NO. 2?
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Peacock wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:20 pm Is Sam Gawith's Best Brown Flake the same as GAWITH HOGGARTH'S & CO. BEST BROWN FLAKE NO. 2?
From what I've read no they are not the same
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Peacock wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:20 pm Is Sam Gawith's Best Brown Flake the same as GAWITH HOGGARTH'S & CO. BEST BROWN FLAKE NO. 2?
Nope.
Surlywill

Haven’t had a chance to try a lot of strait Virginia but sutliff red crumble Kake and Virginia Slices are two Nice smokes. Bought a 1lb of the slices and I think it’s one of the best deals in pipe tobacco.
“ If A is a success in life, then A=X+Y+Z. Work is X; Y is play; and Z is keeping your mouth shut.”
- Albert Einstein
Clemson Tiger

I’m still mourning McClelland.....and angry with the universe over their going “bye bye”.......it pains me to see people discuss them, lol, it’s like talking about the dead :buddy:

I currently have 2 unopened tins of 2014 & 2016 Christmas Cheer- as well as an unopened tin of their 40th anniversary tin that came out in 2017. I’ve got 2 tins of Union Square tinned in 2014, one of them is puffy. I’ve got a 2015 tin of Dunhill Flake still unopened as well as an unopened tin of Solani Virginia Flake (Blend 633). I wish I had discovered Christmas cheer sooner.....I would have a deep cellar of it and an angry wife if I had 😂
sisyphus
Person of Interest

Clemson Tiger wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:47 pm I’m still mourning McClelland.....and angry with the universe over their going “bye bye”.......it pains me to see people discuss them, lol, it’s like talking about the dead :buddy:
I dropped the ball with a couple of delisted Burleys I should have stocked up on and didn't. In the case of McClelland, I caught on they were going away even before it was official and started buying all I could, and then I continued to do so after it became official, even paying too much for tins of Christmas Cheer on eBay when the rush was well on. I don't regret it, I have more McClelland Va than I can smoke in my lifetime.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

sisyphus wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:37 am I have more McClelland Va than I can smoke in my lifetime.
The mind reels at the sheer volume of this much tobacco.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
sisyphus
Person of Interest

my oldest son is going to inherit a nice stash of well aged tobacco :)
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

sisyphus wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:46 am my oldest son is going to inherit a nice stash of well aged tobacco :)
I figure I have another good 30 years of pipe smoking at the current rate. Eventually I will slow the pace I am sure. So... 20-24 lbs a year times 30(ish) years. This would be a lot for me to have in inventory.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017