Potato vs Tomatoe vs Latakia

Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

On a related theme: I still stubbornly order coffee using the terms: small, medium and large.

**Mumbles to self** "Snotty hipster gonna tell ME about a "venti". Granddad fought in Italy for Pete's sake..."
ncrobb
Founding Member

Dr Uhaha wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:43 pm On a related theme: I still stubbornly order coffee using the terms: small, medium and large.

**Mumbles to self** "Snotty hipster gonna tell ME about a "venti". Granddad fought in Italy for Pete's sake..."
I’m with you on that one. I rarely find myself in the shop that uses that nomenclature but do the small- medium-large thing as well and when they ask me for a name I tell them Elvis, Jim Morrison, Saul Hudson, Popeye or Elmer Fudd. Most of them have no clue.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I say LAT-a-kee-ah.

I got that from a long-ago forum where the conversation was relatively short, as pipe smoking threads go. Everyone was sure of this pronunciation, which isn't what I would have picked. Before that, I was pronouncing it like I'm Italian.

Another thing I remember about that long-ago thread, is that the person who asked how to pronounce Latakia said, in response to the answers, "This is what makes this forum so great. Nobody judged me and you all helped me out. Thanks!"

This forum is the same way. Long live PSF!
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Dr Uhaha wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:43 pm On a related theme: I still stubbornly order coffee using the terms: small, medium and large.

I don't go to Starbucks (ever) often, but when I do I just say, "Give me the smallest you have. I'm probably not going to finish it anyway."
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Jlando19

Me not knowing anything about anything I pronounce it la-takia. I'm Cajun though, so everytime hear someone pronounce something differently than I do, I just assume they're crazy. LoL.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Starbucks? 🤔
The Troll Whisperer
Armycw2

Lah tah key ah is how the town in Syria is pronounced.
“If you can't send money, send tobacco.” GEN George Washington
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I heard a guy say .... La Tac kia ... Hey man , I look at it like this . If people understand what youre saying , its a success
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

When buying it just mention some of that cured with camel dung stuff and let the other person mispronounce it. I guarantee they will know what you are talking about unless they have never smoked Latakia. In which case, you may get Mixture 79.
Riff89

Lahsjcyjfdhuzhdakia pretty sure that’s how ya say it... I pronounce it lad uh Kia dunno if I’m right but it hasn’t failed me yet.