Altria Suck-Fest

Wildcat
Codger in Training

MikeDennison wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:15 am I don't want to click "like" on any of this stuff.
Ditto. Very sad. Question: Why don't they sell the rights to the names and recipes as was the case with Dunhill/Peterson?
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Wildcat
Codger in Training

MikeDennison wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:31 am
Middle Earth wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:29 am Would be nice to see STG or who-ever pick up the mantle
In the end it has to make sense $$$-wise
Dunhill made sense apparently
Thanks for posting the info on Milan! I'd never heard of them, but I checked out the website, bookmarked it, and I anticipate giving some of their products a try. Looks like a great store, too, from the virtual tour.
Back when the Middleton lines were still available, they had a Middleton button on their website. It lead you to all of Middleton's offerings naturally. They didn't do this for any other tobacco line. They were where I ordered my favorites from.
On a side note, I've read reviews on their "Our Kentucky Club" and it would appear it isn't even close to being a match. Good golly I hope someone scoops up these blends. Covid shut down or not, I don't think Altria gives a rats behind.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Dr Uhaha wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:08 am Alright, alright... I spoke with the owner of a certain well known online tobacco business. He told me that what is really going on is that the Middleton plant has had to shut down entirely (temporarily) due to Covid cases.

I can see why they might not want to advertise that to their customers/consumers. We'll see what happens. Still gonna stock up.
Yes, as with most places of business 2020 has put a halt to their operations. PA is not discontinued at this moment. Just the original, best I can ascertain the Soft Vanilla/Cherry are gone and possibly the tubs of original. There's a chance this could turn out like Cherry where they limit production to pouches only. Speculation is slippery. They nixed the Choice Blend a couple years ago, that one hit me hard, loved that stuff.
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Also, feel free to inundate them with calls. Interrogate whoever you can get a hold of there.

(888) 878-4562
sisyphus
Person of Interest

no more PA? End times.
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:47 pm Also, feel free to inundate them with calls. Interrogate whoever you can get a hold of there.

(888) 878-4562
I tried to call Middleton and was shunted to Altria's customer service line handled by a service in a faraway land. Guy told me that Carter Hall was discontinued in 2013, which didn't sound quite right.

Between that and the politics I saw on Middleton's public facing subpage, I'm a little disappointed.
Middle Earth

Wildcat wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:16 pm...the politics I saw on Middleton's public facing subpage, I'm a little disappointed.
That was brutal and even worse was zero info about pipe tobacco
Dr Uhaha

Okay, so I spoke with Middleton finally, and here is what they told me this morning:

1. Prince Albert and Carter Hall tubs are discontinued. Gone.
2. Prince Albert and Carter Hall pouches will continue for the time being.

I asked them about the future of these blends, and they politely explained that there just isn't much interest in pipe tobacco.

MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Dr Uhaha wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:26 am Okay, so I spoke with Middleton finally, and here is what they told me this morning:

I asked them about the future of these blends, and they politely explained that there just isn't much interest in pipe tobacco.

Are we like the last colony of dodo's?
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Dr Uhaha

MikeDennison wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:12 pm
Dr Uhaha wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:26 am Okay, so I spoke with Middleton finally, and here is what they told me this morning:

Are we like the last colony of dodo's?
Well, yes and no. :lol:

The John Middleton Co. story isn't surprising for a number of reasons, beyond there being fewer pipe smokers, chief of which is that they are primarily a machine made cigar manufacturer (Black & Milds). That's where their money is, and that part of their business is doing great. I'm sure cranking out tubs of Carter Hall and Prince Albert that collect dust in plain tobacco shops doesn't look good on an executive's spreadsheet. Why bother when they can take that capital and invest it in further diversified products which will sell: "Spicy Nacho Cheese Flavored Black & Mild? Sold!!!"

(Middleton, if you read this, please take my product idea so I can laugh about it grimly for the rest of my life).