Cockstrong

Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

Have any of you smoked it recently? Opinion?

Jlando19

I know you said recently but, here is a review from our very own @Fr_Tom on Tobacco Reviews from 2017.

"The tobacco is a mixed ribbon of tans and light browns. It was delivered very dry, and I tried smoking it as delivered and hydrated with the "John Patton breathe through the bowl." It may have had a little more flavor hydrated. I have been smoking it in a variety of English pots.

It is a nice combination of flavors. The burley is slightly earthy and sweet. The Virginia adds some hay and tart. The Orientals give just a little sour and some spice when snorked. It does not sound like a "knock it out of the park" combination, but it works well for me. The flavor was very consistent to the bottom of the bowl.

It was easy to keep lit and smoked quickly with no moisture in the bowl. The nicotine in this is overrated, and it may be the power of suggestion in the name. I found it to be a solid medium in the strength category.

This is easy to recommend if you are looking for "tobacco flavored" and like Orientals.

Edit 12/14/17: I have to vent about the closures on the pound bags D&R uses. I am on my 4th pound bag of D&R tobacco, and the closures on the bags fail reliably before you have smoked a half of the pound. It is no problem to transfer it to a gallon ziplock freezer bag, but they need to change bag vendors."
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Jlando19

I was about to inquire about the Rimboche AP but I found his review on that one on TR as well. P&C is having a sale on some of the D&R blends currently.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

Love it!

Been a staple of mine for a while.. But i have always bought the little tubs. I like it for what it is. No nonsense tobacco. Simple.. Like PA in the sense that you could roll a cigarette with it.. Or smoke it for a little nic fix.. Or add it to something thats too sweet.. to dilute a heavy aromatic.. I am sad that it is going to be discontinued.
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Jlando19 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:04 pm I was about to inquire about the Rimboche AP but I found his review on that one on TR as well. P&C is having a sale on some of the D&R blends currently.
I bought 5 lbs of Rimboche SJ a few months ago. I like it very much.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!