I Found...

Puff nstuff

Hi everyone.

Today I did some driving to catch up with my family who were vacationing on the coast, and on the way I stopped at a nice B & M tobacco shop. This shop had a decent selection of pipes and tobaccos, with a large selection of their own blends and a smaller selection of tinned tobacco. I ended up buying myself a nice pipe lighter, some tools, and a pouch of Drexel II, which is a vanilla gold & black Cavendish affair that smells pretty yummy.

Among the tinned were several original Dunhill blends. I thought to take a photo of them, but discovered later that my photo was crap. Now I don't remember all of them, but those I do remember were Flake, Royal Yacht, Aperitif, Ready Rubbed, and a couple others; no EMP, MM 965, or Nightcap. They also had some Erinmore.

Each tin was priced at $35. Now, being a newbie, I have no context from which to make any rational decisions about buying any of them, but I do know that Dunhill stopped making tobaccos and the remaining stuff out there will soon be unavailable. I've never smoked any Dunhill tobacco, but the reviews of Aperitif have piqued my interest in that particular blend. So...

1. Is that pricing correct?
2. Do I need to buy any of it for myself to enjoy now, cellar for awhile, or hold as an investment?
3. Does anyone want me to snag any of it for them?

I stopped at a more modest smoke shop later in the day and also found some curiosities - 1.5 oz packs of Carter Hall and Granger, both priced at $6. I know the company that took over those blends no longer market these small packs, so I figure they're older stock. What about these? I've never smoked either of them. Should I? Somebody else want them?
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I would be tempted to pick up a pouch of the Carter Hall and Granger. You owe it to yourself to have tried them probably.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

I would never pay 35 dollars for any tin of untried tobacco unless it was the size of a wagon wheel. Just because its hard to find does not mean its one bit better than readily available cheaper tobacco of the same blend type. The Carter Hall and Granger are much more in line with monetary reality. I like them both and maybe you will too. Anyway, it wouldn't cost you 35 lean green to find out.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Fr_Tom wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:58 am I would be tempted to pick up a pouch of the Carter Hall and Granger. You owe it to yourself to have tried them probably.
I'd take Tom's advice and try the CH and Granger. I was never a CH fan and trust me I tried. I smoked a tub of Granger (Lane) and liked it, but never went in for more. But I'm glad I tried them both. But definitely try the CH while you still can! As far as $ is concerned, my wallet is a lot like @Lostdog5152's!

On a side, but similar note, how are you making out with the Velvet?
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

If it were me .. I would buy as much appertif as I could afford. All of the other Dunhill blends are being continued on by Peterson...but aperitif is gone forever.. I understand opinions on price, but I don't mind a bit extra to snag something scarce.
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
Puff nstuff

Thank you all for your input.

As far as the Dunhill goes, I too was put off by the cost, especially since I've never smoked any of it. In fact, to me ALL their tinned stuff was overpriced. I want to support a member of a dying breed, but not when they charge nearly double for what I can get from one of the online retailers. I'm definitely in the @Lostdog5152 /@Wildcat camp in this way.

But I also get @Chef Benny's take on the rarity factor. I may just buy one, try it out, and see if it's something I think I can't live without more of. I don't see buying many at that price, though - I ain't no one percenter! 😆

@Fr_Tom, I will run up and grab a box each of the Granger and CH. I should at least give those a shot for the sake of posterity and my own edification. I suspect @Wildcat sent me down the road of codger tobaccos precisely for those reasons. I'm enjoying the samples he sent me quite a lot. The Velvet in particular is an easy smoke to enjoy, and I just love the Derby Club. The Middleton's Cherry I haven't quite figured out yet.

Again, thanks all!
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

What is the name of the shop?
ever forward
Puff nstuff

arturo7 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:57 pm What is the name of the shop?
@arturo7, here you go. It's in Rancho Cucamonga.

http://davidsgiftsandtobacco.com/
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Puff nstuff wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:01 pm Thank you all for your input.

As far as the Dunhill goes, I too was put off by the cost, especially since I've never smoked any of it. In fact, to me ALL their tinned stuff was overpriced. I want to support a member of a dying breed, but not when they charge nearly double for what I can get from one of the online retailers. I'm definitely in the @Lostdog5152 /@Wildcat camp in this way.

But I also get @Chef Benny's take on the rarity factor. I may just buy one, try it out, and see if it's something I think I can't live without more of. I don't see buying many at that price, though - I ain't no one percenter! 😆

@Fr_Tom, I will run up and grab a box each of the Granger and CH. I should at least give those a shot for the sake of posterity and my own edification. I suspect @Wildcat sent me down the road of codger tobaccos precisely for those reasons. I'm enjoying the samples he sent me quite a lot. The Velvet in particular is an easy smoke to enjoy, and I just love the Derby Club. The Middleton's Cherry I haven't quite figured out yet.

Again, thanks all!
Bet they won't give your $35.00 back if you hate it.
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

I own many, many tins of, now aged, Dunhill blends that I know well and enjoy. None of them are worth $35/tin. Burley-based OTCs are the way to go IMO.