Fixin' to Start Cellaring Tobacco

kschatey

Jars + 1 lb Newminster 400 + Time = Magic. Done and done.
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Presby John-Dave wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:15 am Another question, how much room should be/ could be in your jar? The quantities I'll be working with are pretty small, but I don't have mason/ball jars that small. I think I have 8oz ones. If it's important or advisable, I might just order the tiny jam jars that were mentioned.
If you ask some people there would be a science formula to the amount of space left open in a jar and it might affect the curing process for a consistent result but I say just pack those little jelly jars with as much as you can and twist the lid on

I unloaded a bunch of jars last year and transferred into Mylar to save on space and weight. Ran across two quart jars labeled the same 1 was full the other half full
The tobacco was noticeably darker in the half full but it could have been mislabeled??
rekamepip
Codger in Training

kschatey wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:30 am Jars + 1 lb Newminster 400 + Time = Magic. Done and done.
Yes indeed!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

kschatey wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:30 am Jars + 1 lb Newminster 400 + Time = Magic. Done and done.
The 403 roundies too
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

rekamepip wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:37 am
Presby John-Dave wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:15 am Another question, how much room should be/ could be in your jar? The quantities I'll be working with are pretty small, but I don't have mason/ball jars that small. I think I have 8oz ones. If it's important or advisable, I might just order the tiny jam jars that were mentioned.
If you ask some people there would be a science formula to the amount of space left open in a jar and it might affect the curing process for a consistent result but I say just pack those little jelly jars with as much as you can and twist the lid on

I unloaded a bunch of jars last year and transferred into Mylar to save on space and weight. Ran across two quart jars labeled the same 1 was full the other half full
The tobacco was noticeably darker in the half full but it could have been mislabeled??
If this question was on PSM forum there would already have been a dozen blowhards posting a different "scientific" formula that they 100% pulled out of their rear end and have no idea if it's true or not. There are a ton of theories about aging tobacco and they all seem to work.
Middle Earth

Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:34 am
rekamepip wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:37 am

If this question was on PSM forum there would already have been a dozen blowhards posting a different "scientific" formula that they 100% pulled out of their rear end and have no idea if it's true or not. There are a ton of theories about aging tobacco and they all seem to work.
Well aquainted and true dat.
rlucas
Member in Good Standing

I bought a blend that came in a jar. It's packed tight and filled to the top. If I could figure out imgur, I'd post a pick.
"That's mighty bold talk for a one eyed fat man!" -Lucky Ned Pepper.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

rlucas wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:53 pm I bought a blend that came in a jar. It's packed tight and filled to the top. If I could figure out imgur, I'd post a pick.
Nothing to figure out. Click the "full editor and preview" button near the reply box. Once there click on the "i" button with the green dot and select your picture. The forum software will do it for you
rlucas
Member in Good Standing

Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:04 pm
rlucas wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:53 pm I bought a blend that came in a jar. It's packed tight and filled to the top. If I could figure out imgur, I'd post a pick.
Nothing to figure out. Click the "full editor and preview" button near the reply box. Once there click on the "i" button with the green dot and select your picture. The forum software will do it for you
Tried that and it doesn't work for me. I got it once, but for reason I can't this time. :?:
"That's mighty bold talk for a one eyed fat man!" -Lucky Ned Pepper.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

rlucas wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:32 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:04 pm
Tried that and it doesn't work for me. I got it once, but for reason I can't this time. :?:
You have to wait till it loads all the way and the image link will load. May take a second. I’m guess you got some Briarworks tobacco?