Burley; what do you recommend for a 'newbie'?

Legion

houtenziel wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:28 pm
Legion wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:18 pm
Aussies aren't as rabid about politics as Americans. The gulf between the two sides is not as great as in the U.S. We have the choice between Tweedle-Dee & Tweedle-even-Dumber. We rarely discuss politics amongst ourselves. Although there is a growing discontent.

At least it's good to know that I'm amongst good company here.
We aren't as divided as our media makes us all out to be. Most of us just want to be left alone. The rabid ones are just the ones that yell the loudest.
Sadly we are heading into evil times. The Dark Ones are trying to wrest control through lies & deceit.

People need to awaken & decide what do they really believe? There's no such thing as an absolute in this physical world. But the divide is becoming wider. I belong to the Light of All That Is. Truth is my guiding light.

It well could get to the point where it is Us v Them. There will be no in-between. The Rabbi Jesus advised; 'If a man has no sword, have him sell his garment so that he may purchase one'.
I do not relish violence nor war. But there are times when the righteous need to stand up to evil. We are heading into those times I'm afraid & it's time to be ready for come what may. It is what it is.
Legion

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:42 pm
Legion wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:24 pm Now, where were we? Ah, that's right, it's the pipe smokers forum (no, I haven't forgotten, lol)

Perique is another that I'd like to try. It's described in a similar way to Latakia ('Spicy' for e.g.) Does it also have an ... er .... 'interesting' aroma?
From what I've read it's very strong & high in nicotine so probably not the best for my circumstances.
None-the-less I'd like to be familiar with it's characteristics as it's added to many blends. I'll be asking Jeff to add a Perique sample to my next order.
Perique does have a smell... Like a barnyard. It's another one that took some getting used to for me but I'm definitely a fan now. It can have an effect much like a peppery punch in the face or a sort of sweet almost plummy note so it's one of the few times I'd recommend reading a ton of reviews to see which way the blend leans before ordering
The descriptions of both Perique & Latakia sound appealing. I'm reading a lot of reviews but it comes down to personal taste.
Many of the Latakia blend reviews sound really appealing.
Your description makes Perique sound appealing. It remains to be seen what I think.

I can see how some things can grow on a person. As a teenager for e.g., I really didn't like wine. But as girls like wine & I like girls, I did get to like wine through finding what suited me. In time my tastes broadened.
Tobacco will be no different I expect.

We have such a limited range of pipe tobacco here. - Most local tobacconists have Erinmore, Borkum Riff, Amphora & Dr Pats Irish Mixture & that's about it . - Finding American suppliers has opened a whole new world to me & I have a lot to learn.
I'm a bit like a kid in a candy store, lol.
Legion

Rusticated wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:13 pm
Legion wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:36 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:33 pm If I were to share why , I'd have to ban myself . Move to America [ ? ]

I've laid down some seeds in preparation for Spring. Most people couldn't identify a tobacco plant so fingers crossed.
It pains me to break the law but to quote Thomas Jefferson; "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.".

Sorry to hear about your woes bro; if I were you I'd take the risk and grow both! Now I feel blessed to live in So Cal as a Christian conservative. I thot Kalifornistan was bad...Your laws suck!
A few days ago I put some Burley seeds in some little coco coir pots in preparation for Spring.
Tomorrow is the first day of Spring but temps are still cool. Although we have very mild Winters it does get down to 0*C at night, inland from the coast. In years gone by we would've already had a few warm days but even day temps are still cool (around 18*C)
I'm enjoying it while it lasts though (although my extremities don't) as we're expecting another brutal summer (last summer we hit 48*C)
Perfect for growing tobacco though.

At this point I'm focusing on growing for seed, which are the smallest I've ever seen. Due to their size, they don't remain as viable as seeds such as corn or beans for e.g.
From what I've read, a smoker would need to grow at least 50 plants for a years supply. That amount would be too obvious & just asking for trouble.
My past efforts growing Virginia worked out ok. It took me a while to figure out how to dry & cure for a reasonable result.
I'll have 9 months of the year to grow, I expect, so I'll get at least 2 harvests of 6 plants max.

A book on growing, drying, curing is on it's way from Book Depository.

Does anyone else grow their own tobacco? If yes, we could do with a growers sub-forum.
Rusticated

Legion wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:36 pm
Rusticated wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:13 pm
Legion wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:36 pm

I've laid down some seeds in preparation for Spring. Most people couldn't identify a tobacco plant so fingers crossed.
It pains me to break the law but to quote Thomas Jefferson; "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so.".

Sorry to hear about your woes bro; if I were you I'd take the risk and grow both! Now I feel blessed to live in So Cal as a Christian conservative. I thot Kalifornistan was bad...Your laws suck!
A few days ago I put some Burley seeds in some little coco coir pots in preparation for Spring.
Tomorrow is the first day of Spring but temps are still cool. Although we have very mild Winters it does get down to 0*C at night, inland from the coast. In years gone by we would've already had a few warm days but even day temps are still cool (around 18*C)
I'm enjoying it while it lasts though (although my extremities don't) as we're expecting another brutal summer (last summer we hit 48*C)
Perfect for growing tobacco though.

At this point I'm focusing on growing for seed, which are the smallest I've ever seen. Due to their size, they don't remain as viable as seeds such as corn or beans for e.g.
From what I've read, a smoker would need to grow at least 50 plants for a years supply. That amount would be too obvious & just asking for trouble.
My past efforts growing Virginia worked out ok. It took me a while to figure out how to dry & cure for a reasonable result.
I'll have 9 months of the year to grow, I expect, so I'll get at least 2 harvests of 6 plants max.

A book on growing, drying, curing is on it's way from Book Depository.

Does anyone else grow their own tobacco? If yes, we could do with a growers sub-forum.
I used to grow another popular "leaf", but those days are long behind me now :lol:
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Ok, I think we have the recommendations!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Now that was a hijack ! :lol:

As far as Burley recommendations ....MB GE . That stands for MacBaren Golden Extra , which God intended man to smoke as a go to blend . God smokes Burley but that doesnt mean you have to .. but it does mean you should try them or at least Golden Extra , just sayin
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Now that was a hijack ! :lol:

As far as Burley recommendations ....MB GE . That stands for MacBaren Golden Extra , which God intended man to smoke as a go to blend . God smokes Burley but that doesnt mean you have to .. but it does mean you should try them or at least Golden Extra , just sayin
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Bullwinkle

Life is so good here in Aus., or should I say was, that most of us couldn't give a flyers about politics. We are an easy going relaxed people. We've had it too easy for too long.
But the bull is stirring. We've had enough.
Maybe paying a little attention would have helped with your tobacco tax situation 😁
Whalehead King

I'm coming in at the end here and haven't read the first pages of this thread. Has anyone recommended Carter Hall yet?

Carter Hall in a cob? CH in a cob is an excellent burley smoke for a new smoker.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Whalehead King wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:59 pm I'm coming in at the end here and haven't read the first pages of this thread. Has anyone recommended Carter Hall yet?

Carter Hall in a cob? CH in a cob is an excellent burley smoke for a new smoker.
CH is a great choice for anyone.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017