Favorite English

Splodger

Fr_Tom wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:13 pm
Splodger wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:11 pm

Is the frog deceased?
It croaked.
Hooting with laughter!
Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind - Henry James
Splodger

Splodger wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:19 pm
Splodger wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:11 pm

Is the frog deceased?
It croaked.
Hooting with laughter!
I don't understand it. Why would McClelland discontinue such a successful brand. This post https://www.smokingpipes.com/ ... ish-blends on the Smoking Pipes blog shows it to be the fifth most popular english blend.
Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind - Henry James
slowroll
Founding Member

My favorites are C&D Engine 99, Star of the East flake, Arango Balkan Supreme, and HH vintage Syrian. Couple others are runners-up. GH Balkan is good, but IMO, the above have it by a nose.
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
Splodger

Splodger wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:33 pm
Splodger wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:19 pm

It croaked.
Hooting with laughter!
I don't understand it. Why would McClelland discontinue such a successful brand. This post https://www.smokingpipes.com/ ... ish-blends on the Smoking Pipes blog shows it to be the fifth most popular english blend.
I just did a little research. How very sad for the whole industry. No doubt this has been discussed at length on this and every pipe smoking forum, but I am only now aware.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I hear a lot of good chatter about Stokkebye English oriental supreme. Haven't had it myself but I'm betting some of the folks here can comment on it

My personal favorite is rattray's red rapparee
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:38 pm I hear a lot of good chatter about Stokkebye English oriental supreme. Haven't had it myself but I'm betting some of the folks here can comment on it

I smoke EOS often. It's a nice mellow all-day sort of English. It's got some burley in there too, which I like, but may put some purists off. For those types, there is always "Proper English".
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

houtenziel wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:14 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:38 pm I hear a lot of good chatter about Stokkebye English oriental supreme. Haven't had it myself but I'm betting some of the folks here can comment on it

I smoke EOS often. It's a nice mellow all-day sort of English. It's got some burley in there too, which I like, but may put some purists off. For those types, there is always "Proper English".
Thanks for that info. I see what you mean about burley possibly being a turn off for a purist but it sounds right up my alley
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
slowroll
Founding Member

The PS EOS is good, but I personally think Arango Balkan Supreme is more like an old Balkan (think Balkan Sobranie).
www.custompipestems.com ...pipestems and pipes designed and created
JBRiner

I really enjoy all of PS’s offerings. Proper English is just plain good. English Oriental Supreme is also in my cellar.

My hands down favorite classic English blend is Margate.

When I am craving a boatload of Latakia, I load up Pirate Kake.
Adwyth
sisyphus
Person of Interest

Splodger wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:43 pm
I just did a little research. How very sad for the whole industry. No doubt this has been discussed at length on this and every pipe smoking forum, but I am only now aware.
we knew it was coming and still hard to deal with. I bet I spent two or three thousand bucks buying McClelland tobacco I probably don't even need there at the end. Better to have it and never need it than for it to not be there if you want it. If you love Virginia tobacco, it's a tragedy. We'll never see leaf that quality again. Well I will, but most of you guys won't ;)
I hope our names are touching on the watch list