Burley Blends revisited

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I agree 100% with the Wessex recommendation. I was lucky enough to get a tiny bit of the original Edgeworth Slices and wessex definitely fits that profile well enough for me.

Another one I'll suggest, especially since CH is working its way into the win category, is Sutliff Ready Rubbed Match. It's a great tobacco to keep on hand
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:30 pm Sutliff's Heine's Blend is a nice Burley, not so much a cocoa bomb but it's good.
+1 on the Heines ! Ya know , it kinda reminds me of Kentucky Club Continental , in that it has a mild flavoring and smokes very well , cool and smooth while retaining a tobacco forward flavor . Its so under rated

One to try , and it's in bulk so you can score an oz. For cheap , is Sutliff Burley . Its kinda has a mild " Lakeland "" thing going on , i swear . It took me by surprise . Its is very mild and i think it was added because if it wasnt , it woukd be quite plain . It is a cavendish cut and blend . It isn't like MB GE or Solani but its worth an oz. Try as an add on to an order maybe .
Another off the wall one is IRC Dutch . It's such a mild burley and probably the mildest I've ever had
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
beeftip

I combed through my "cellar" and found a jar labeled, "London Burley Blend". It was pretty full which tells me that I probably smoked a bowl or two and didn't think all that much of it.

I smoked a bowl of the the London Burley blend last night. I got a little tongue bite from it. Not bad, just annoying.

The flavor was okay. Kind of sweet. Not much complexity. I bet it'd make a terrific RYO cigarette if blended with some oriental leaf.

I didn't hate it and I'm guessing I didn't hate it back when I jarred it up. It will stay jarred up in the back of the "cellar" for now.

You guys have been great about recommending blends and I'll have to give some of these a try. I'll keep you posted.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

beeftip wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:21 pm I combed through my "cellar" and found a jar labeled, "London Burley Blend". It was pretty full which tells me that I probably smoked a bowl or two and didn't think all that much of it.

I smoked a bowl of the the London Burley blend last night. I got a little tongue bite from it. Not bad, just annoying.

The flavor was okay. Kind of sweet. Not much complexity. I bet it'd make a terrific RYO cigarette if blended with some oriental leaf.

I didn't hate it and I'm guessing I didn't hate it back when I jarred it up. It will stay jarred up in the back of the "cellar" for now.

You guys have been great about recommending blends and I'll have to give some of these a try. I'll keep you posted.
You have an extinct blend jarred up there...Mac Baren chopped LBB from it's line up about three years ago. I thought it was good but no better than any of the other Mac B burley tobaccos. I guess they thought it was redundant too.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
whitebriar

Ray Mackessy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:01 pm C&D burley blends can be rather so so when their fresh. Most say their a little harsh, but not to my taste. After they sit for a few months they open up taste wise. C&D makes the best burley blends there are IMO. Try Pegasus for a tasteful blend.
Ray
is Pegasus soapy like the old Bond Street??
Peacock

houtenziel wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:48 pm I started smoking a pipe around the same time you did.. and for pretty much the first 3-4 years of my pipe smoking journey, I really disliked Burley. It remember thinking it tasted like someone had set fire to a bowl full of grapenuts, or maybe some dank cardboard. I pretty much only smoked Latakia blends, as they were easy to get a lot of flavor and complexity from. My love for Burley sort of came along with a serious bout of PAD, where it seemed I was eternally breaking in new pipes. You can imagine I begrudgingly smoked a LOT of Carter Hall and Prince Albert getting those things caked up and ready for the good stuff. Something sort of weird happened though, and I found that I had began to enjoy the easy going, thoughtless smoke that I had once found totally monotonous.
Could just be you don't like the flavors.. but it could also be that you haven't spent enough time - and please forgive the pipe smoker cliche - to fully understand them.

I personally don't really care for the sort of "rawness" that most of the C&D Burley has, but others really dig it. You might want to try something like Solani Aged Burley Flake, or maybe even Wessex Burley Slice to see if they still seem "meh" to you.
Is Burley really that much better for building cake?
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”
- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

whitebriar wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:21 pm
Ray Mackessy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:01 pm C&D burley blends can be rather so so when their fresh. Most say their a little harsh, but not to my taste. After they sit for a few months they open up taste wise. C&D makes the best burley blends there are IMO. Try Pegasus for a tasteful blend.
Ray
is Pegasus soapy like the old Bond Street??
I know it's not addressed to me, but I get absolutely zero soap from Pegasus.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

OfPipeAndPen wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:43 pm
houtenziel wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:48 pm I started smoking a pipe around the same time you did.. and for pretty much the first 3-4 years of my pipe smoking journey, I really disliked Burley. It remember thinking it tasted like someone had set fire to a bowl full of grapenuts, or maybe some dank cardboard. I pretty much only smoked Latakia blends, as they were easy to get a lot of flavor and complexity from. My love for Burley sort of came along with a serious bout of PAD, where it seemed I was eternally breaking in new pipes. You can imagine I begrudgingly smoked a LOT of Carter Hall and Prince Albert getting those things caked up and ready for the good stuff. Something sort of weird happened though, and I found that I had began to enjoy the easy going, thoughtless smoke that I had once found totally monotonous.
Could just be you don't like the flavors.. but it could also be that you haven't spent enough time - and please forgive the pipe smoker cliche - to fully understand them.

I personally don't really care for the sort of "rawness" that most of the C&D Burley has, but others really dig it. You might want to try something like Solani Aged Burley Flake, or maybe even Wessex Burley Slice to see if they still seem "meh" to you.
I couldn't say one way or another if burley builds that much better of a cake. People recommend things like Carter Hall or Prince Albert for breaking in a pipe because they burn very consistently and dry. Starts a nice, even coat and gets the pipe on the right path to greatness
sisyphus
Person of Interest

not better but faster
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

OfPipeAndPen wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:43 pm

I was going to say exactly what sisyphus said. Burley tends to build sort of fluffy cake, and it forms much faster than Virginia based blends. Virginia builds a sort of hard, almost glassy cake.
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt