Burley Blends revisited

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:00 pm

I agree 100% with the Wessex recommendation. I was lucky enough to get a tiny bit of the original Edgeworth Slices and wessex definitely fits that profile well enough for me.

Another one I'll suggest, especially since CH is working its way into the win category, is Sutliff Ready Rubbed Match. It's a great tobacco to keep on hand
This post by Mr Beardsley liked by (total 6):
Fr_TomhoutenzielbeeftipRuffinogoldMikeDennisonIslayphile
Not the brightest bulb in the fixture ;)
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:25 pm

Bruyere_Royale wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:30 pm
Sutliff's Heine's Blend is a nice Burley, not so much a cocoa bomb but it's good.
+1 on the Heines ! Ya know , it kinda reminds me of Kentucky Club Continental , in that it has a mild flavoring and smokes very well , cool and smooth while retaining a tobacco forward flavor . Its so under rated

One to try , and it's in bulk so you can score an oz. For cheap , is Sutliff Burley . Its kinda has a mild " Lakeland "" thing going on , i swear . It took me by surprise . Its is very mild and i think it was added because if it wasnt , it woukd be quite plain . It is a cavendish cut and blend . It isn't like MB GE or Solani but its worth an oz. Try as an add on to an order maybe .
Another off the wall one is IRC Dutch . It's such a mild burley and probably the mildest I've ever had
This post by Ruffinogold liked by (total 3):
Fr_TomMikeDennisonIslayphile
" Ya don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows "
beeftip

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:21 pm

I combed through my "cellar" and found a jar labeled, "London Burley Blend". It was pretty full which tells me that I probably smoked a bowl or two and didn't think all that much of it.

I smoked a bowl of the the London Burley blend last night. I got a little tongue bite from it. Not bad, just annoying.

The flavor was okay. Kind of sweet. Not much complexity. I bet it'd make a terrific RYO cigarette if blended with some oriental leaf.

I didn't hate it and I'm guessing I didn't hate it back when I jarred it up. It will stay jarred up in the back of the "cellar" for now.

You guys have been great about recommending blends and I'll have to give some of these a try. I'll keep you posted.
This post by beeftip liked by (total 4):
Kevin KeithIslayphileMikeDennisonFr_Tom
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:38 pm

beeftip wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:21 pm
I combed through my "cellar" and found a jar labeled, "London Burley Blend". It was pretty full which tells me that I probably smoked a bowl or two and didn't think all that much of it.

I smoked a bowl of the the London Burley blend last night. I got a little tongue bite from it. Not bad, just annoying.

The flavor was okay. Kind of sweet. Not much complexity. I bet it'd make a terrific RYO cigarette if blended with some oriental leaf.

I didn't hate it and I'm guessing I didn't hate it back when I jarred it up. It will stay jarred up in the back of the "cellar" for now.

You guys have been great about recommending blends and I'll have to give some of these a try. I'll keep you posted.
You have an extinct blend jarred up there...Mac Baren chopped LBB from it's line up about three years ago. I thought it was good but no better than any of the other Mac B burley tobaccos. I guess they thought it was redundant too.
This post by Kevin Keith liked by (total 4):
houtenzielIslayphileMr BeardsleyMikeDennison