Sir Walter Raleigh and Sir walter Raleigh Aromatic

Whalehead King

I have nothing against Sir Walter, straight up, when he's looking over my left shoulder from the tin art. When Sir Walter Raleigh looks over my right shoulder, from a gold background, on the tin, SWRA is my go-to smoke. There is something to be said about that proprietary blend of Dutch liqueurs.

Yeah, it's a chick magnet. Not that I'm here to give advice to romeos and lotharios on how to seduce women, that's not my mission, far from it, but if you want to smoke a tobacco that makes women weak in their knees (and I'll leave it at that) SWRA will be your go-to smoke, too. Your job will be to hold those women up and help them home, as gentlemen----not to take advantage of their aroused olfactory conditions. What is one of SWRA's liqueur blends: it's gotta be pheromones. A whiff of SWRA is an aphrodisiac that should be used judiciously, as such, within the bounds of honorable and gentleman behavior. Abuse the effects of SWRA on the opposite gender at the peril of your dignity, your reputation, and your soul.

SWRA is not a date rape drug. It's what a self-assured man smokes to enhance the environment around him to promote civilized conversation and camaraderie amongst people of both sexes. SWRA is a unique tobacco blend. Enjoy it prudently and you will experience a lifetime's worth of smoking satisfaction, one plentifully plump bowl full of flavor after another.

Smoke it if ya got it! SWRA. The tin will match your shower curtains.
ncrobb
Founding Member

Another vote for SWRA. I get a hint of chocolate and you are right about how easily it smokes.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

@billyjoe mentioned adding lanes dark red to stiff.... I might add some to see ... that could be cool maybe !
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Whalehead King

When my (12 Oz. Nt. Wt,) tin of SWRA is running low, I am never tempted to replace it with a 12 ounce net weight tin of SWR.

I have a lot of respect for Sir Walter Raleigh, the man. I have a lot of respect for Sir Walter Raleigh the tobacco. SWR is a decent smoke but you can find comparable burley blends over the counter. No, it's not Carter Hall. No, I know it's not Prince Albert. It's not Walnut, Granger, etc, etc, etc. Whatever. SWR is good, but I can't say that it is better, in a fundamental sense or in a transcendental sense, than anything else on the market. SWR may be some smokers' pride, but it doesn't elevate the bar of what a great OTC can be.

Straight up SWR is a tobacco with feet of clay compared to SWRA. Aromatic Sir Walter Raleigh, like Red Bull, has wings. Unlike Red Bull, SWRA is not a cartoony marketing ploy. It really is an ethereal blend that will transport you on wafts of smoke similar to what angels ride upward, ever upward, to paradise. SWRA contains something you can't put your finger, or your tastebuds, on. SWRA is sublime.

YMMV, of course. When someone tells me they don't like Beethoven's 9th Symphony or they tell me that a visit to the Sistine Chapel left them non-plussed, I'm not going to argue with them. Some people have rocks in their heads instead of sensitive brains. I have a tongue that is better served in my shoe rather than in my mouth, but I still love SWRA over all OTCs. Maybe it is because I am so insensitive to nuance that I find SWRA so rapturously delightful from charring light to dottle dump.

Maybe SWRA isn't to your taste. If it isn't, I can think of some other things that aren't meant for you either. Maybe you're the kind of person who likes rotten meat, moldy bread and horse manure. Taste is subjective. SWRA is a fine and unique OTC blend without rival. There is a reason its room note makes women weak in their knees and men seem more like gentlemen when they smoke it. It smells good, it tastes good, and it delivers more than it promises. If there is a beatific OTC, it is called SWRA.

Smoke it if you have it. You'll make friends.

If regular SWR can do this, imagine what the aromatic can do:
Preacher1611
Member in Good Standing

OK, OK! After Ruff's review I was ready to buy SWRA with my next Pipes & Cigars .com order... NOW, Whalehead King's two posts have basically caused me to absolutely HAVE to buy a pouch and try SWRA this payday. I've tried SWR and liked it but not the SWRA, so hopefully the B&M has it...
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Preacher1611 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:20 am OK, OK! After Ruff's review I was ready to buy SWRA with my next Pipes & Cigars .com order... NOW, Whalehead King's two posts have basically caused me to absolutely HAVE to buy a pouch and try SWRA this payday. I've tried SWR and liked it but not the SWRA, so hopefully the B&M has it...
I am claiming you won't regret it.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
BlueRidge
Member in Good Standing

Sadly of the two grocery stores here only one sells SWR in a pouch and it's the bone dry version. I have a tub in the basement but for whatever reason am just saving it. Maybe I'll pick up some SWRA at the same store to see if it is in a better state.
Billy Joe

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:16 pm @billyjoe mentioned adding lanes dark red to stiff.... I might add some to see ... that could be cool maybe !
Try either that or Lane's BCA added to your favorite straight burley for some added sweetness. What I mix up with Carter Hall I prefer even to SWRA. Then sgain, that may just be my bad taste speaking.
avid

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:16 am I know many pipe smokers have had both of these blends at least 100 times or more . Im writing this for new pipe smokers because they are OTC blends that are easily found .

These two blends are extremely different . Ive seen comments in the past where someone bought one of them an expected the other to be the same blend with either no flavouring or flavouring . It aint the case

The SWR Regular is a burley blend with the super lightest touch of a sweetener , just enough for it not to taste " raw " . Im not sure what types of burley are in there , though I can guess theres a little bit of Kentucky Red in there but mainly medium and lighter burley .... but who knows , I dont

The Cut : Really , its like little " pluggish " chunks but not like a cube cute , much less condensed .. like a lazy cube cut [ ? ] . Theres also random small pieces in there . If I knew where my phone was , I'd take a picture . To fill a pipe with SWR ... gravity fill , give a slight tamp and fill again [ maybe ] .. then a slight tamp . You’ll have to determine what a slight tamp is ... its not a lot is the only way I can describe it . Maybe like if you had to touch your own eye ball , God forbid .. lol

The pouches seem to come in different humidity levels depending on how long it sits on a shelf , so it can be very very dry , which it shouldngt be , or hav a little bit of moisture , which it should have . Ive found that any OTC thats available in a tub is always at perfect condition but a tub cost some bucks and if youre just trying it you probably snag a pouch . If its crunchy dry , its too dry and needs a little humidification . If it has just a little give , its good to go . I buy pouches because where I buy them at seems to move pretty quick .

The flavor of SWR is what I call standard Burley . It isnt refined to an elegant point [ and I mean that in a manly way , like Wessex Burley slice ] but isnt unrefined to where it tastes like some Red Burley old school Kentucky Twist plug . If youre a new pipe smoker , ya probably dont know what the heck I was just talking about . So , its a medium bodied burley flavor with some spikes of Medium + when you start to get down .

Ive had / have SWR from many decades . Its basically the same throughout the 7 decades of blends Ive tried . Like all burley tobacco , it gets darker over time and mellows some but retains its original flavor

You'll read people saying that its best in a cob ..I love it in a cob , maybe not because its better than in a briar , because I smoke it in both , but I just dig the simplicity of it and the two go together somehow ... kinda like tomato , basil and mozzarella

Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic

This blend is so not the regular swr . Its a diverse blend of Burly and virginia with a Medium + flavouring added . I get a chocolate / rum type flavour but don’t listen to me because I completely suck at distinguishing aromatic flavours unless its labelled on the package

The cut is near opposite of the regular . Its more like a ribbon with some shorter pieces . The colours range from medium to lighter .

The great , and I mean really really great thing about this blend is two things .......

1. Its one of the most brainless easy to light and keep lit blends devised by the hand of man ... period

2. Chicks really dig the aroma . It is a chick magnet

Its also unique in a couple ways and its kind of a big deal ..

1. Though an otc aromatic , its not a black cavendish styled aromatic

2. And this is HUGE .... it has a good hit of nicotine . For many aromatics , nicotine is usually low and sometimes doeesnt even exist .... not this sucker !

SWRA is a super fantastic blend ! Its in a class of it own and is so unique that there isnt one to compare it to thats ral similar

That said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ... like any aromatic , if you dig the flavouring , youlll at least have a chance of enjoying the blend . If you hate the flavoring , then there is no chance of enjoyment

This blend seems to have a love it or hate it reaction many times , though thre are middle ground folks of course .

Anyway , I think both thes blends are worth a try . If you live in a state that isnt insane , theyre pretty cheap as otc . If you live in an insane state , buy it online
Great write up
insufferable filter guy
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Whalehead King wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:21 pm When my (12 Oz. Nt. Wt,) tin of SWRA is running low, I am never tempted to replace it with a 12 ounce net weight tin of SWR.

I have a lot of respect for Sir Walter Raleigh, the man. I have a lot of respect for Sir Walter Raleigh the tobacco. SWR is a decent smoke but you can find comparable burley blends over the counter. No, it's not Carter Hall. No, I know it's not Prince Albert. It's not Walnut, Granger, etc, etc, etc. Whatever. SWR is good, but I can't say that it is better, in a fundamental sense or in a transcendental sense, than anything else on the market. SWR may be some smokers' pride, but it doesn't elevate the bar of what a great OTC can be.

Straight up SWR is a tobacco with feet of clay compared to SWRA. Aromatic Sir Walter Raleigh, like Red Bull, has wings. Unlike Red Bull, SWRA is not a cartoony marketing ploy. It really is an ethereal blend that will transport you on wafts of smoke similar to what angels ride upward, ever upward, to paradise. SWRA contains something you can't put your finger, or your tastebuds, on. SWRA is sublime.

YMMV, of course. When someone tells me they don't like Beethoven's 9th Symphony or they tell me that a visit to the Sistine Chapel left them non-plussed, I'm not going to argue with them. Some people have rocks in their heads instead of sensitive brains. I have a tongue that is better served in my shoe rather than in my mouth, but I still love SWRA over all OTCs. Maybe it is because I am so insensitive to nuance that I find SWRA so rapturously delightful from charring light to dottle dump.

Maybe SWRA isn't to your taste. If it isn't, I can think of some other things that aren't meant for you either. Maybe you're the kind of person who likes rotten meat, moldy bread and horse manure. Taste is subjective. SWRA is a fine and unique OTC blend without rival. There is a reason its room note makes women weak in their knees and men seem more like gentlemen when they smoke it. It smells good, it tastes good, and it delivers more than it promises. If there is a beatific OTC, it is called SWRA.

Smoke it if you have it. You'll make friends.

If regular SWR can do this, imagine what the aromatic can do:
I swear , I have teh billiard in that commercial .. lol !!
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.