Sutliff Crumble Kake VaPer " review "

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I was glad to see Sutliff come out with some new tinned blends . I have yet to try the Red Virginia , in hopes it has a similar taste to McClelland virginas , which would be fantastic
I was given an opened tin of Crumble Kake vaper a while back and I've taken my time finishing the tin as to check it out as it gets drier

The super quick " review " is that it's good and that I prefer it fresher than drier , which isn't out of the ordinary for me . Many folk like blends quite dry and almost brittle . I also enjoyed it more in an average or larger pipe . The smaller pipes, it was warmer and had more edges to it

The cut of the blend is similar to what McClelland did with their flakes , as far as thickness , but the Sutliff cut breaks down pretty quick ... thus the Crumble Kake deal .

The colors are ... well , check them out yourself . The picture shows more red and bright than what appears to the eye . Th eyes a litle cavendish prefer into it but it isn't flavored as far as I can tell and it isn't alot .

The Aroma in the tin is unadulterated for the most part . It smells like a trpypical brown virginia , and when it was fresher , it had a touch of the Red Virginia aroma for a bit . The Perique is quite present in the aroma as well.
Unadulterated in the sense that there isn't much as far as the Hay , grass , fig or Lemon fragrances that we're used to hearing / smelling ... this one is prety straight in the aroma department and the flavor department .
It's not very complex nor refined

You can't help but let this blend break down a bit . The drier it gets , the easier it wants to break apart

It taste like a Vaper. It's a little rough on the edges . It got rougher on the edges as it dried . The edges were smoother when fresher
There's not much sweetness to this blend . It's a blend that would give purists something to talk about , as uninteresting as that would be .
If you've had F&T brown Virginia and the Drexel flake ... combine them , youd have something similar in fllavor to the virginia in Crumble Kake , just add a litle red and lessen the sweetness

I'm writing this at the end of the tin . I should have written it at the beginning because the flavors of the Red stood out , along with the brights being little high flavors here and there . As it's gotten drier , the nuances have diminished and it's basically a brown virginia with very little sweetness and a decent Perique presence .., straight forward , unadulterated with some sharpness on the edges

Is it Germains Royal Jersey Perique ... no .. but what is . Is it Escudo .. nope , it doesn't have the range of flavors and sweetness of Escudo . Is it Sutliff Crumble Make Vaper... yup , it's it own thing and if you're looking for something stripped down a bit so you can get the "core " flavors of a brownish red virginia and perique ... it's one to try

I'm going to state my rating scale as this ....

Most tobacco is good , some are lame and some are great

Lame is 1 ☆
Good is 2 ☆☆
Great is 3 ☆☆☆

SUTLIFF CRUMBLE KAKE VAPER ... ☆☆
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Sounds tasty. Looks good too. I's nice to see Sutliff branching out. Everybody always blasts them for their aromatics/pg...I don't really care what people say or think, I like pretty much everything I've smoked that they make.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Out of the three Sutliff Kake's this would be the one I'd try first but I'm in no hurry. I'm still holding the deli ticket over Cherry Cordial M79, that's going to be my next gamble once I burn through some of the stuff I already have. Nice review 👍
The Troll Whisperer
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Bruyere_Royale wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:31 pm Out of the three Sutliff Kake's this would be the one I'd try first but I'm in no hurry. I'm still holding the deli ticket over Cherry Cordial M79, that's going to be my next gamble once I burn through some of the stuff I already have. Nice review 👍
That sounds really good!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
ncrobb
Founding Member

Nice job ruff. I am curious as well about their Red Virginia foray. I won’t go so far as to whine about it but I do miss the 2035 Dark Navy Flake.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

ncrobb wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:49 pm Nice job ruff. I am curious as well about their Red Virginia foray. I won’t go so far as to whine about it but I do miss the 2035 Dark Navy Flake.
Oh hell , i could whine .. lol
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Middle Earth

Right or wrong, all three of the Crumbke Kakes are getting high marks at TR.
Sitting on some of the VaPer
May have to add the other two to the crowd.