Ashton Gold Rush

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

This blend has been in my " cellar " a few years now . It's a favorite for me come Summer , big time . It's fantastic all year , mind you , I just mention Summer because it's Summer and I've been killing this blend

Their description :
A pure Virginia blend made of only the most outstanding Virginia tobaccos. Medium bodied and smooth, this mixture burns beautifully and renders a natural aroma accented by traces of lemon and honey.

The " traces of lemon and honey " is the thing that sends this excellent blend over the edge

Here's the thing . It's Virginia, so it will change up during aging . I enjoy this blend fresh or a few years old .

Fresh .. the lemon honey thing is more present than aged , though it isn't a high aromatic nor " regular " aromatic . Mildly aromatuc is what it us .
The ready rubbed cut is pretty rubbed out with some occasional thicker strands .
The blend is easy to light and keep lit ... it burns near perfect
Fresh , the colors are medium brown mainly with some lighter colors and a super minority of a very dark brown/blackish

The flavoring , fresh , is present up front ... a couple notches above mild . The flavoring tones down rather quickly while aging . So , if this blend is a mind blower at the tin pop , I'd suggest going to town on it and maybe jarring the last third if aging interests you

The " Virginia flavor " of this isn't very bright but more medium . What's awesome about this is ... with a bright lemony Virginia, they tend to tingle or get warm at times . This blend , being brown but with a lemon flavor , imho is quite exceptional

After sone aging ... a year +
The flavoring after aging ..... it's stratospheric ! The flavoring tunes down and changes .... to a kind of perique flavor .. kind of . The colors of the blend darken some and the nuances of the blend , when fresh , make a more singular less varied fantastic blend when aged

Mouthfeel

Unlike some Virginia's thst have a sharp or thin mouthfeel. Gold Rush has some richness and a light cream feeling to its mouthfeel

Anyway , I write too much without saying a whole lot in my " reviews " , which is why I don't write them often as I don't really ever nail it.

Gold Rush is Giada in Fishnets when aged . It's Giada in a summer dress when fresh

A Ruff reccomended blend . It's in my top ten , which probably contains 50 blends , lol

Seriously , if you're looking for a medium Virginia with something going on to where it isn't a straight Virginia, more like the difference of a straight and a Vaper .... this is one to try .

The one " CON " of gold rush is ....... fresh or aged ... it doesn't last all the way down to the heel . The last 1/8 of the smoke is flat and blah , at least for me
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

This one is going on my to buy list once I'm done spending money on tools. Thanks for the insight Ruff!
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Wilderness Pipe

It's going on my next "order list". I've been wanting to try out another pure Virginia blend. I've only this year gotten into "cellaring", so this one sounds perfect for that. Thanks for the review
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Fixing to have a bowl of the stuff in my Norm Poker . What a great combo

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

As I'm smoking this bowl , something occurred to me ...

Ya know how Erinmore Flake isn't as flavored as the mixture , or at least doesn't seem to be ( ? ) .... Well , Gold Rush is kinda similar to the amount of flavoring that's in Erinmore Flake , maybe a step toned down
Houtenziel
Codger in Training

I am not a fan of sharp or overly grassy tasting Virginia, but I am a big fan of sweet bready Virginia. Honey in the mix sounds amazing.
This sounds like a winner, and I've yet to try something from Ashton that wasn't at least good enough to smoke the whole tin. Thanks for the heads-up!
“To educate a person in the mind but not in morals is to educate a menace to society.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

houtenziel wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:20 pm I am not a fan of sharp or overly grassy tasting Virginia, but I am a big fan of sweet bready Virginia. Honey in the mix sounds amazing.
This sounds like a winner, and I've yet to try something from Ashton that wasn't at least good enough to smoke the whole tin. Thanks for the heads-up!
You are right and I hadn't thought of it .... Ashton blends are all pretty damn good . I dont think ive had them all , but of what ive had . Im gonna look over their line now
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Heres the line .... i havent had much from them now that I look it over. The consumate gentleman is damn good , the Gold Rush and I had gotten a sample of smooth sailing in trade and enjoyed that . They have others and the guilty pleasure has me intrigued .... those types of flavor , mango and tropical type stuff , if done well can be great . If over done or done poorly ... could be super awful

https://www.tobaccopipes.com/ashton-pipe-tobacco/